Lethargic Hen with Watery, Undigested Poop

Thanks everyone. So I went to the vet yesterday and we noticed a new symptom. She had some nasal discharge and was pretty congested. The vet have her am appetite stimulant and she is currently on baytril because she thinks it's a respitory infection. If she doesn't get better in three days, she's going back for an x-ray and stool sample. However, on the way home from the vet, she pooped and it had a spot of blood in it... I emailed the vet and she said treat preventatively for cocci. I have corid in the water and am giving her baytril. As of today, she still won't eat, but she drank the corid water and seems a little but more lively. Well see what happens. I have a feeling this may not be completely respitory. I have not seen any more bloody poop except the one she did yesterday. I'm just confused because she seems to have two different sets of symptoms... she is the only bird in the flock who gets sick and has gotten sick three times now. I'm thinking she has a poor immune system. If she lives through this and gets sick again, I may have to consider putting her down... hope you all are having a good holiday.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of her poop. Normally it is more white and less green, but I just cleaned up and this is the only poop from her I could find.

Baytril is as good an antibiotic as you can get, and will treat most any type of infection. With clostridium perfringens and other types of enteritis, and with certain worms, there can be blood in the droppings. Also, please worm her with Valbazen, since capillaria worms can be treated with that--dosage is in post #5. She may well have a problem with immunity. Several diseases can cause that, especially having coccidiosis in the past, and if she may have enteritis, it may be worse. Infectious diseases such as avian leukosis and Mareks disease can also cause problems with immunity. Many people will use a multivitamin and probiotic in the chicken's water 2-3 days a week to bump up their intestinal immunity.

Baytril is as good an antibiotic as you can get, and will treat most any type of infection.  With clostridium perfringens and other types of enteritis, and with certain worms, there can be blood in the droppings.  Also, please worm her with Valbazen, since capillaria worms can be treated with that--dosage is in post #5.  She may well have a problem with immunity.  Several diseases can cause that, especially having coccidiosis in the past, and if she may have enteritis, it may be worse.  Infectious diseases such as avian leukosis and Mareks disease can also cause problems with immunity.  Many people will use a multivitamin and probiotic in the chicken's water 2-3 days a week to bump up their intestinal immunity.

So baytril will work on enteritis? I will definitely worm my birds. I have to go to TSC soon so I'll see if they have it, or check agway. If not I'll order it. I will also use some type of probiotic. My old vet who has chickens says she uses apple cider vinegar. I'll use that or probiotic. Im Hoping she clears up. I haven't fully ruled out the possibility of peritonitis, but I'm just hoping it's not...

FWIW, someone in the peafowl forum recently had her 3 year old hen test positive for coccidiosis and capillary worms.

-Kathy

Cocci is always lurking for an opportunity.

Egg, since I've been reading about entiritis in depth, and I'd like to learn more about Baytril, can you give me a source for that? I would like to read anything available about them. And I've inadvertently ended up with 3 bottles of Baytril. Thanks in advance.

Not much different. Her comb is more red, but she's not eating much. I can only get her to eat mealworms, seeds, and noodles. Tomorrow I'm going to try to give her wet feed. My chickens love wet feed for some weird reason (I always make sure it's fresh though).I'm going to see how she is tomorrow and bring her back to the vet if needed. I can't tell if her abdomen feels swollen or not. It feels bigger than my other birds, but most of my others are slim bantams. The vet said she didn't seem in pain when she pressed her stomach... We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom