Lethargic Hen with Watery, Undigested Poop

Baytril will not effectively treat enteritis caused by clostridia, but it will treat most gram negative infections. Good table here that shows what drugs work on some of the more common bacteria:
[COLOR=333333]http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]

What would you use to treat clostridia?

If I knew for sure that it was clostridial, probably amoxicillin, tylosin or metronidazole.

-Kathy

If she were mine I would deworm her with Safeguard liquid for goats at 0.23 ml per pound (50mg/kg) for five consecutive days. Since you are working with a vet, call and get their approval. Tell them that Safeguard is the same as their liquid Panacur, it's Fenbendazole 100mg/ml. You could also use Valbazen, but I doubt you'll find that locally. Valbazen dose I would use is 0.08ml per pound (20mg/kg).

FWIW, when the vet suspected that my peahen might have a clostridial infection, metronidazole is what she prescribed. My hen also had a gram negative infection, so she was also prescribed Baytril.

-Kathy

Last edited:
So baytril will work on enteritis? I will definitely worm my birds. I have to go to TSC soon so I'll see if they have it, or check agway. If not I'll order it. I will also use some type of probiotic. My old vet who has chickens says she uses apple cider vinegar. I'll use that or probiotic. Im Hoping she clears up. I haven't fully ruled out the possibility of peritonitis, but I'm just hoping it's not...

What would you use to treat clostridia?
In post #3, I listed what drugs would treat clostridium perfringens. I would probably use Tylan or amoxicillin. Sorry if i made it sound like Baytril would treat it. Baytril will treat a possible respiratory infection and possible peritonitis.

In post #3, I listed what drugs would treat clostridium perfringens.  I would probably use Tylan or amoxicillin.  Sorry if i made it sound like Baytril would treat it.  Baytril will treat a possible respiratory infection and possible peritonitis.  

It's ok. I'll see what happens with her tomorrow

Last edited:
So today I got her to eat some wet food, and as she was eating it she threw up water, but I'm thinking she's been drinking so much, when she actually wanted to eat she needed to make room? Also, when I was wrapping her in a towel to give her her meds, she threw up again (nervous?). I know it's normal, but I've never seen my hens puke before. Should I be concerned?

So today I got her to eat some wet food, and as she was eating it she threw up water, but I'm thinking she's been drinking so much, when she actually wanted to eat she needed to make room? Also, when I was wrapping her in a towel to give her her meds, she threw up again (nervous?). I know it's normal, but I've never seen my hens puke before. Should I be concerned?
One must be very careful when handling birds that have crops full of water as they can vomit, aspirate and die. When carrying, do not touch the crop or put any pressure on the areas around it. Carry them close to your body with your hand on their keel bone. FWIW, I have found that they are more likely to vomit if wrapped in a towel because no matter how careful you are, the towel gets wrapped around the crop.

-Kathy

One must be very careful when handling birds that have crops full of water as they can vomit, aspirate and die. When carrying, do not touch the crop or put any pressure on the areas around it. Carry them close to your body with your hand on their keel bone. FWIW, I have found that they are more likely to vomit if wrapped in a towel because no matter how careful you are, the towel gets wrapped around the crop.

-Kathy

Good to know. I never even thought about whether chickens could vomit or not. I have rabbits, and I guess I'm just used to hearing the fact that they can't vomit, so my brain must have just tried to apply it to chickens.

I had a hen with a sour crop and when I pushed on it to feel it to see if it was squishy, water came out. Is it possible she has a sour crop? Mine also had watery stool with chunks of food in it... No blood though. She was lethargic and didn't want to eat much. she did eat meal worms and some oatmeal with probiotics, and food wetted with water.

Last edited:
I had a hen with a sour crop and when I pushed on it to feel it to see if it was squishy, water came out. Is it possible she has a sour crop?  Mine also had watery stool with chunks of food in it... No blood though. She was lethargic and didn't want to eat much. she did eat meal worms and some oatmeal with probiotics, and food wetted with water.

I never even considered sour crop, but this is the first day I've noticed this. How would you treat sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom