Lethargic Muscovy Drake

SnakeWrangler95

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
I got a 6 month old trio a little less than a year ago. Yesterday the drake became very lethargic (won't eat, won't bathe, keeps his eyes closed and is only passing urates). I only have 2 vets anywhere around here that will see ducks. One doesn't have any openings till Monday and the other I can't get ahold of. Based on my research, it sounds like aspergillosis. I keep their water as clean as possible and clean up spilled food, but we did have a really bad storm that flooded my property. Thoughts?

Please, please, please, can someone please help us? This duck is my beloved pet and as my son said in this post we can't find a vet that can see our dear pet until Monday late afternoon, that's FOUR days away! We are desperate for help. Please if you have any advice you can offer it would be so appreciated.

Okay, it sounds rough, let me try to find some info.

@SnakeWrangler95

@katzenmutter

I would emphasize to the vet this is an emergency.

Also, I would

get a stool sample to the vet - often they can get labwork started before an exam

give him supportive care - perhaps indoors, temperature mild, clean environment, fresh water with vitamins and electrolytes or a teaspoon of ACV per quart of water.

If it is a fungal infection and you have no vet care today I would consider giving cooled pau d'arco tea - it is antifungal.

Under a vet's guidance some have used UNACTIVATED Oxine AH with a nebulizer in a tent (a covered crate can be the tent). 3 times a day (every 8 hours).

Last edited:
@Amiga @Miss Lydia

I can't get a stool sample because he isn't eating much. I contacted another vet, but they won't see him till next week as well. I odered some Oxine Ah, but it won't be here for several days. I'm afraid bringing him inside would stress him out really bad. He isn't very tame. I do have some ACV. Maybe I could just add that to their water? It would be a good idea for the rest of the flock to get some in case they are sick, but not showing symptoms right?

@Amiga @Miss Lydia

I can't get a stool sample because he isn't eating much. I contacted another vet, but they won't see him till next week as well. I odered some Oxine Ah, but it won't be here for several days. I'm afraid bringing him inside would stress him out really bad. He isn't very tame. I do have some ACV. Maybe I could just add that to their water? It would be a good idea for the rest of the flock to get some in case they are sick, but not showing symptoms right?
Okay supportive care keep him where he isn't having to exert alot of energy and can't chill. But where he can see the rest of the flock. Very important he doesn't get depressed so he needs to be able to see them. Yes put ACV into their water I use 1 tab to 1 gal of water. Hopefully that will help. Offer food you could even try making a soup out of some if he is drinking he may drink some ducky soup made out of his feed and warm water try a little and see. Yes give the ACV and water to everyone.

Yes, I removed all other water sources. He has just been sitting around the last couple days, but he did get up, eat, drink and move around a bit a couple hours ago. His breathing is slightly labored, but not much.

Back
Top Bottom