lets see the "ugly" coops plz

drunkdog

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Everett
this was brought up in another thread so I figured Id start this thread...I want to see ugly ghetto and not pretty fancy painted chicken coops plz....dont be bashful I personally love the rustic look and look forward eagerly to all that share so I can gain some motivation to build yet again
big_smile.png

I agree with SparksNv, I haven't seen anything bad either, as long as the chickens are happy, safe and making eggs, that's a chicken coop in my book.

I became disabled so money was an issue, but getting those baby chicks were therapuetic for me and they needed a coop. I recieved some free 2 x 2's and other oddball wood. I did buy a roll of chicken wire, it's amazing what other people want to get rid of or will just give you.

I'll post a pic of mine as soon as I figure out how ;-)

67019_cogburn.jpg

I think I got it! there has been updates to the coop (all wire is stapled down, nesting boxes are being made to be attached to the back) and it does look better and safer, with my Fibromyalgia, I work on it about 1/2 a day. When when winter comes, I'll attach removable solid sides, right know it's about 108 here and winters are mild.
OBTW, it's 2' x 4'. and yes, I've cleaned the waterer out, it's no longer green.

Last edited:
"if the women dont find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

I'd rather have handy than handsome. Pretty is as pretty does

Here's a pic of the coop I've dubbed as the "Red Neck Chicken Coop!" I bought this thing after seeing it on Craigslist which looked good in the picture (it was side view!) and had it delivered without personally seeing it in person. (We didn't have a way to transport it & the seller offered to bring it to me which I thought was a great deal until I relized it needed a lot of work!) We've removed the the "windows" and replaced with better plywood as well the lid to the nesting boxes. You can't see the side doors, but we had to replace them as well. I won't even mention how much we paid initially for this or how much we're sinking into it to get it fixed up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cover (or seal) gaps?? There are several places where the wood doesn't meet correctly & there are gaps which will let in drafts, snow, water, etc. Not to mention the roof doesn't overlap & there is gap in the roof!! Any suggestions as to how to fix??

sillyovrsilkies

Chickencoop.jpg

Finally! I find a "My Coop" thread I won't feel so ashamed to post in!
lau.gif

My coop is basically a recycled, refurbished and expanded dog house that is situated inside two chain-link kennels that are bolted together around it.

I have the two door sections overlapped and fenced off, creating an 'alcove' that makes it 'escape proof' (my tenants had allowed all my birds to escape while I was on my cross country ride, so when I expanded the run I made sure that would not happen again).

Last edited:
I forgot to mention .. where it is hinged for nest box .. get some rubber strip .. and staple it across the hinged area .. *again, cheap .. better than the product that has been made for valleys or flashing with glued tar ..

Back
Top Bottom