Lets see your "Breeding Pens"

I didn't build these. There is a guy who lives near me who builds and sells animal shelters. I tweaked one of his designs and ordered three. We are just finishing the runs for them today. We put them side by side and are now constructing 4x10 runs in front of each one with wire fencing and gates in between. We are putting a light netting over the top for hawk prevention. We are using one of them to house our three silkies permanently. They are too small to let free range with all the hawks around. The other two are now housing four light Sussex each. They seem to be quite happy in them and we do let them free range. They are still young and kind of woosie so they don't stray far from the coop. My plan is to raise them to point of lay and then keep the four I like best and sell the others. I also have 3 Light Sussex in the brooder, one of which I do not expect to survive. I have plans for the other breeder pen so I can't keep all the Light Sussex. The silkies got out for the first time in a long time today when I finished their run. They were lovin' it! I think the 2 story coop will work well for them. I can put a nest box in the bottom when they get broody and raise babies. The Sussex have mastered the ramps but the Silkies still don't get it. I have to lay on the ground, crawl in with them and push their tooshies up the ramp. One of these days they will get it. I hope!

Thanks for all the kind comments on my BYC page. I will update it soon with some new pics.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my breeder and grow out pens, all self contained with a brooder and incubation area. I plan an expansion of another 8-10 more pens in the coming months.

AL

10364_img_0385.jpg

10364_img_0384.jpg

10364_img_0394.jpg

10364_img_0368.jpg

10364_img_0392.jpg

Quote:
These are great how many LF do each hold. Your in Calli right, so it would have to be mod. for colder climates huh?

Quote:
These are great how many LF do each hold. Your in Calli right, so it would have to be mod. for colder climates huh?

I am in Northern CA, fairly mild temps but we do get below freezing. Heat is more of an issue here. I think the coops can hold four birds because they really only sleep in there. They have big runs now. Right now I have light Sussex in them and they are huge birds so when they are fully grown that might not work out.

Quote:
Where in Northern, CA? I'm in Sacramento.
Close enough to share the builder guy info?

Quote:
Where in Northern, CA? I'm in Sacramento.
Close enough to share the builder guy info?

Sacramento here too! He is in Auburn. His name is Robert Jewell and I'll P.M. his email address and phone number to you. You can see his work on his photobucket page at http://s578.photobucket.com/home/custombuiltshelters/allalbums .

Mary

Gee and I thought Folsom was the only prison around here!
Thanks for the info!

this is my breeding setup, in the spring im adding at least 3 tractors (4X4 with the coop on top and the run directly underneath) that will be moved around the feild, as i need second pens for a few of the breeds i have.

it has since been modified that the run on the left is now two 10X10 and there is a nice new 4X4X5 coop along the fence!
069.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom