Let's Talk About Avian Encephalomyelitis (AE)

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
This is very, very long. I will try to explain a little. The questions I have are at the bottom.

Background
Starting in early March or late February I started buy a few chicks now and again at Tractor Supply. I also bought a few from a local hatchery. I started losing chicks in great numbers on April 5th. Sometimes five a day. At first I suspected coccidiosis, did a float test, and sure enough there was an elevated amount present. So I treated with Corid for a week. I was still losing chicks, but at the end of the week I did another float test and things looked good. Only now I had a chicken with tremors, on its side, which finally died with a twisted neck. The deaths continued. Sometimes 1 per day, sometimes more. Some chicks would become paralyzed and die. Some would become paralyzed and get better only to become paralyzed again and die. In five weeks I lost 49 chicks out of 64. Only one of my original, oldest birds died of it. The chicks all came down with it even though they were separated into different brooders. I am sure *I* unknowingly spread it while feeding and cleaning.

Diagnosis
Confirmed as AE.

Death History
I did not keep a record of which breeds died on which date, only a record of the number each day. I cannot tell if it came from the local breeder, the hatchery supplying TSC, or from somewhere else (wild bird? I have no idea). I have two bantams out of 22 left; neither of which exhibited signs. Six out of my eight oldest TSC chicks have survived. One died of AE and one died before all of this got started. They were 6+ weeks old at the time it began and the one that died of AE was the only one with symptoms. The EE chicks purchased on 3/24 were the first to be wiped out. If I was to suspect any group I would suspect them as being the source of the infection. One survived until this past week when I culled him. His neck was too deformed for him to have a good life. Out of the 24 LF chicks that were bought beginning on 3/17 from TSC I have 2. Of the breeder chicks I have four out of 11. For the most part they did better: surviving longer, showing less symptoms, seeming to recover before dying, continuing to eat and drink. Only one of living breeder chicks had AE and survived. Unfortunately, it is blind in one eye due to cataracts and the other eye is looking cloudy. I will have to cull. None of my adult chickens has shown any signs and there has been no decrease in egg production that I can tell.

Questions
What do I do about the infected brooders??? The chicks were separated by age and LF/bantam into several wooden brooders in my outside brooder shed/area. Can I ever use them again? Can they be disinfected? Should I burn them? We are talking hundreds and hundreds of dollars of wood, wire, hinges, etc. Not to mention man power. Hubby said he would rather close down operations than rebuild. I agree. We don't have the time or money to rebuild, so if I can clean it I would. Or could I re-line the brooders with more plywood or plastic or something?

I have two poults, six ee chicks, 11 Spitzhauben chicks, and 16 cochin bantams in my laundry room in plastic tubs at the moment that were hatched 4/21 that NEED to go out. I also have a Cackle Surprise coming in two weeks. I have been practicing TIGHT bio security while caring for my few remaining chicks in the outdoor brooder.

At what age are they ok to be exposed without dying of AE? i.e. if I can clean the brooders and use them again, when would it be safe to put these guys out there?

Do hatcheries vaccinate their breeding flock? If so, does that confer any immunity to the chicks? I sure didn't seem to with these.

I know there is a vaccine give at 9+ weeks. Where can I get it? Should I vaccinate my older hens? I have shut down any selling of chicks until I get this straightened out. I would never, never, ever, ever wish this horrific experience on anyone else. My breeder flock is on the other side of the property, but I would never risk it.

If you made it this far and have any advice I thank you for it!

This is very, very long. I will try to explain a little. The questions I have are at the bottom.

Background
Starting in early March or late February I started buy a few chicks now and again at Tractor Supply. I also bought a few from a local hatchery. I started losing chicks in great numbers on April 5th. Sometimes five a day. At first I suspected coccidiosis, did a float test, and sure enough there was an elevated amount present. So I treated with Corid for a week. I was still losing chicks, but at the end of the week I did another float test and things looked good. Only now I had a chicken with tremors, on its side, which finally died with a twisted neck. The deaths continued. Sometimes 1 per day, sometimes more. Some chicks would become paralyzed and die. Some would become paralyzed and get better only to become paralyzed again and die. In five weeks I lost 49 chicks out of 64. Only one of my original, oldest birds died of it. The chicks all came down with it even though they were separated into different brooders. I am sure *I* unknowingly spread it while feeding and cleaning.

Diagnosis
Confirmed as AE. [Avian Encephalitis]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H5N1

I hope you are not talking about the HPAI (N5N1) strain of Avian Encephalitis. I hardly think it so because I would think that the Hazmet Suit folks would have already paid you a visit. Learn all you can about the strain that your chicks have and what you can do to stop it.

I am unsure at this time if I were you if I wouldn't be culling all the TS chicks on General Principle's principles it seems like a good place to start. However before burning the physical plant you need a great deal more information, and you need it quickly.

NOT BIRD FLU.

Surviving chicks are NOT infectious and do not have to be culled unless it is a quality of life issue.

AE is a hepatovirus like Hepatitis. Specifically it is in the family picornavirales. Influenza is in the orthomyxoviridae family. Not related.

Last edited:
Here's a link to poultry diseases, scroll down to AE:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Here's a link to another member who has dealt with AE:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/569789/avian-encephalomyelitis-encephalitis

The first link is a very useful link that I recommend for anyone. I have it printed and bookmarked. It was what I first used to narrow down the possibilities and decide whether or not to get a vet involved.

The second link isn't great, but it reminded me about the hatchery outbreak several years ago. I have searched them and have not found what I am looking for.

I am still open to suggestions and advice!

Surviving chicks are NOT infectious and do not have to be culled unless it is a quality of life issue.

AE is a hepatovirus like Hepatitis. Specifically it is in the family picornavirales. Influenza is in the orthomyxoviridae family. Not related.

Do you know as well if the surviving birds are safe to eat, and if their eggs are safe to eat? I can't find any information about this online.

Reviving an old thread, but considering the information you've provided, which I couldn't otherwise find online, I'm hoping you might know :)

This disease is a viral disease, caused by a virus from the the Picornavirus family. It also called Epidemic Tremor.
This virus is transmitted by several ways:
1. Direct contact between birds or droppings.
2. Hatching eggs
3. Contaminated equipment
4.by tics
The virus can survive in droppings for 4 weeks.
Recommendation for prevention:
A. Breeders bird that have infected chicks have to be culled.
B. chicks that survive should be culled since they will never be good layers.
C.there is a vaccine that have to be given in between 8 week of age to 4 weeks
before the first egg.
survivors of an adult outbreak become immune and not carriers.
In this situation I would let the outbreak to finish, and after at least 5 weeks, that in them I would disinfect and clean the all area I would introduce the new floc, in
Preference to birds in the age that can be vaccinate.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom