Lets talk about goats!

Pics
I'll answer what i can, some questions though are personal choice.
I want some goats, but its taking a lot of convincing for my husband. I need to learn more form people who actually have them. Some websites are informative, but they dont cover the real questions, like, are they really fun or just a chore?

Do you have to process the milk, or can it be consumed straight from the bucket?
This is a choice answer, you milk them, strain the milk and then chill it, it's your choice if you want to pastureize it, i drink it raw and have had zero ill effects. The goats we milk however are very healthy.
How much do they really eat?
Again, depends on several factors, such as what kind of goat, how big, how old, what do you plan to use it for, how much other feed does it get such as browsing and hay and pasture.
Do they need special hoof care?
Yes they do, they need there hooves trimmed ever month or two depending on how rapidly they grow, hoof trimming takes practice and the goats need to be secure when doing so.
Do they need special suppliments?
Again, choice, but yes, minerals are sold as just that, minerals for goats, if allowed to pasture it's not as needed.
Do they really eat everything?
No, they do not. Goats are notorious chewers however and will chew on everything. It's part of their curiosity and usually harmless. They will however eat paper, lol
Are they smart enough not to eat poison plants?
Sometimes yes, other times no, it depends really, are they well fed? Are they especially curious? Better safe than sorry on this one.
What sort of care do they need?
The same as other large animals, they require daily feeding water loving, very very social animals. They NEED attention and love every day. when they are producing milk they need milked every day.Rain or snow.
Are they lots of work like a horse?
I wouldn't say as much as a horse but yes work they are, mostly what I said above.
Are they smelly like rabbits?
Some people say yes others no. I don't smell the does, the bucks however do smell especially in the breeding season.
Are they mean?
Depends on how they are raised, i know some very friendly sweet goats, some goats that take time to warm up to you and others that don't want anything to have to do with me.
Are you planning to breed, is that what the buck is for?
Right, you only need a buck if your going to breed and even then, you don't have to have one, some farms offer there bucks for breeding services.
Do you plan to eat the offspring?
Personal choice, warning, the offspring are incredibly cute and it could prove a challenge to butcher them.
Im going to be watching this thread! I want to learn all i can!

What is a good breed for a new goat herder?
It depends on what you are interested in them for? Pygmies are small and gentle. Nubians are big and gentle as are La manchas.
What sort of space requirements do they have?
25 square feet per goat is the ADGA standard for dairy goats, honestly they are happier with more space.

My buck is a Nubian. One doe a lamancha and the other a mini alpine. Pictures in order. Lol

My boy Clyde. Having difficulties uploading the other pics.

I want some goats, but its taking a lot of convincing for my husband. I need to learn more form people who actually have them. Some websites are informative, but they dont cover the real questions, like, are they really fun or just a chore?

Do you have to process the milk, or can it be consumed straight from the bucket?

How much do they really eat?

Do they need special hoof care?

Do they need special suppliments?

Do they really eat everything?

Are they smart enough not to eat poison plants?

What sort of care do they need?

Are they lots of work like a horse?

Are they smelly like rabbits?

Are they mean?

Are you planning to breed, is that what the buck is for?

Do you plan to eat the offspring?

Im going to be watching this thread! I want to learn all i can!

What is a good breed for a new goat herder?

What sort of space requirements do they have?

Last edited:
She had two boys! The second one was a little bigger and his head was backwards so I had to pull him. Took a little bit for mom to get her energy back and start letting them try to nurse. The first little boy is hilarious, he just stood there with his face in her udder lol. I made sure they both had some colostrum in them and that mom had some bread soaked with molasses water because she would not drink it. I'm leaving them a lone now because the first one already likes me more than mom lol

Back
Top Bottom