Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
I am not an expert, but I do like her type. I am seeing some white tipped feathers (that will pass on white feathers in the rooster offspring's tails and that is undesirable) and clean legs (the standard calls for feathered legs.) GCMs are a work in progress, so don't get discouraged. Find a rooster that has the traits your pullets lack and keep the best pullets from that breeding, then breed them back to their father. It takes a lot of hatching and culling to get where you want to be.
Thank you for the advice on the white tipped feathers. That's the kind of information I am looking for. I have 8 pullets and 2 cockerels from which to choose my breeding stock. Half of them have feathered legs. My two goals this year are to get rid of the white tail feathers in the cockerel and to pass on all feathered legs in the offspring. Your comments were perfect in helping me know how to reach those goals. Thank you so much!

caf.gif

No pullet eggs yet?

pop.gif
None yet!
he.gif
I am also waiting on two Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets that I hatched with the Marans.

Thank you for the advice on the white tipped feathers. That's the kind of information I am looking for. I have 8 pullets and 2 cockerels from which to choose my breeding stock. Half of them have feathered legs. My two goals this year are to get rid of the white tail feathers in the cockerel and to pass on all feathered legs in the offspring. Your comments were perfect in helping me know how to reach those goals. Thank you so much!
So glad I could help.
big_smile.png

Im waiting on

3 golden cuckoo marans pullet
Lav orp pullet
Black marans pullet
2 BCmarans pullets
5 CCLmpullets
5 Bresse pullets
2 olive egger pullets

ALL of them are POL...ALL of them are Red all over!! Grrrrrrr and the molters are just as many..

0 eggs in a week from 40!!!

Im waiting on

3 golden cuckoo marans pullet
Lav orp pullet
Black marans pullet
2 BCmarans pullets
5 CCLmpullets
5 Bresse pullets
2 olive egger pullets

ALL of them are POL...ALL of them are Red all over!! Grrrrrrr and the molters are just as many..

0 eggs in a week from 40!!!
Frustrating isn't it?!! I am getting 2-3 eggs a day out of 21 hens. Can't wait for all this molting to be over!!!!

I don't believe my two, 26 week old Ameraucanas have started laying yet, but I believe all the other 5 pullets that age have.

We are getting 5 - 8 eggs per day, (50 hens). The molt is an issue, but also many of my hens are getting older. The oldest 5 will be five years old in the spring.

My lone, cleaned-legged golden cuckoo Marans must be 3 1/2 years old by now, but I have high hopes for her to lay this winter. She is broody all summer, -June to September. I think she laid one or two eggs this fall, then she molted. I do remember saying last year that she was earning the right to take the summer off by producing steadily all winter. We'll see how she does this year.

I don't believe my two, 26 week old Ameraucanas have started laying yet, but I believe all the other 5 pullets that age have.

We are getting 5 - 8 eggs per day, (50 hens). The molt is an issue, but also many of my hens are getting older. The oldest 5 will be five years old in the spring.

My lone, cleaned-legged golden cuckoo Marans must be 3 1/2 years old by now, but I have high hopes for her to lay this winter. She is broody all summer, -June to September. I think she laid one or two eggs this fall, then she molted. I do remember saying last year that she was earning the right to take the summer off by producing steadily all winter. We'll see how she does this year.
The pure Ameraucanas always take the longest to start laying. My GCM hens started laying last year in September at 6 months of age and laid all winter and through the summer and fall. One is still laying. Now they are molting and it seems for young birds they are molting much heavier than my other birds at that age have. In fact, all my birds are molting heavy this year. Wonder what is up with that?!

I dont know but it kills me when everyone at work is harrassing me for eggs I sell at 3$ a dozen...could have sold 50 dozen already!! Costs me 30$ a week for feed not including all the treats and leftovers...lol so far...ive gotten a full dozen eggs but it took 6 weeks lol

I sell at work too, sonew, usually 5 - 7 dozen a week. I also charge $3, but I offer a slight discount for those that pay ahead ($20 for 7 dozen) and run a tab for them. It is usually right after a bunch of people hand me $20 that the chickens shut down. Most people don't mind just carrying over until spring. This is the first week I had to cut people off.

Back
Top Bottom