Levamisole wormer info needed

As potent as this stuff is, I have to agree, using this for 3 to 7 days along with high doses sounds like a lot. I will keep researching and also talk to my Vet's assistant, she is the resident poultry expert at the clinic. I will let you know when I learn something on this! :)
I've been searching for studies but haven't found any yet.

I've been searching for studies but haven't found any yet.

They sure don't make this medication easy to deal with! Maybe I should stick to the main stream wormers. :lol:

I will use it but not until I find out more info. I don't want to under use it either in fear of worms developing immunity.

i also read another article using it in kiwi at safe-for-poultry doses and it killing them within 4 hours, so i would not use it in small birds like quail

i also read another article using it in kiwi at safe-for-poultry doses and it killing them within 4 hours, so i would not use it in small birds like quail

Thanks for the tip on quail! This stuff is obviously extremely potent. A bit scary really.

First, thanks for the good info and links. Years ago, I found info online from Mississippi State regarding dosages of a lot of things, but I lost it, so I came here trying to get the right amount again. I recalled the dosage in water being very low but not exactly how low. I guessed and used 1/4 tsp of a pack of Prohibit soluble drench power, which is near double the amount I eventually found again this morning on a copy of the medications flyer I had printed years ago. It said to use .5g/gallon water, which comes out to about an 8th teaspoon at the weight per teaspoon given here. I'm happy to say that none of the chickens died that I overdosed: They were Silkies, Polkies (Silkie x Polish) including juveniles, juvenile French and Cuckoo Marans, a Barred Rock, Australorp, Sex-link, and game hen EE. I moved out all the remaining water this morning after I finally figured out the correct dosage. I'm reviving this old thread in case anyone else comes looking for an answer, and for myself the next time I lose the dosage in water. I didn't want to use Ivermectin again after I saw a chicken poop out a big wad of live roundworms a few days after I applied the cattle drench version. A study I read said Ivermectin doesn't do a good job of killing roundworms in chickens anway, so Levamisole is now in my rotation along with Valbazen (which I don't use during molt due to possibility of deformed feathers), Moxidectin, and eventually water-soluble Safeguard with no egg withdrawal. It's still more expensive than Moxidectin but maybe that will change. My farm is on 4th generation farmland with springs and lowland, on a slope, in Florida, so we get frequent downpours that turn runs into mud-baths. There's no chance we'll ever eliminate parasites from the ground even with torching, which we tried, and big dumpload trucks of sand we bring in to replace the dirt that washes downhill, often before I even find time to shovel out the old stuff. So I deworm adults every other month and chicks once a month up through laying age to keep the damage to a minimum. I often wonder why I keep trying, but I'm too addicted to chickens to give up.

Hi, I am new here, and a friend of a friend once recommended using prohibit levamisole drench powder to worm my flock. I have around 80 chickens, ranging from LF to bantam, and I just want to make sure I am giving the right dosage in their drinking water. I have a 5 gallon waterer that they all drink from, and I gather they will all need to only drink from this water source over a 24 hour period, but I am just not sure how much of the powder should be added to the 5 gallon waterer first. I have read all sorts of conflicting information online for proper dosage with this and am just feeling confused now! I just am nervous and don't want anything bad to happen to them. If I missed this information earlier in the thread, I apologize but would love to know still! Thank you all so much in advance for the help with this! This is the product that I purchased:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MI9fqVr7X_5gIVbRitBh1hBwYsEAQYASABEgLH1PD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom