Lewisville, TX

texasmomma

Songster
Apr 5, 2010
TX
I'm new here, and very excited about the possibility of having chickens. We are moving to a new house that is almost an acre. The ordinance in Lewisville indicates that an acre is needed to have chickens. Does anyone know if Lewisville is lenient with variances? I'd rather follow the law, if possible.
wink.png

Thanks.

Susie in TX

we dont have an acerage law in waco, we just have to keep coop and runs 50 feet from neighbors houses.
A quick call to your city council office should clear things up.

Lewisville City Council
www.cityoflewisville.com
151 West Church Street
Lewisville, TX 75057-3927
(972) 219-3405

I have no idea if that city is easy to get a variance in, that would in all likelihood depend upon your new neighbors who are frequently notified when you request the variance.

I'd be more concerned with the setback requirements which if this is up to date according to http://library7.municode.com/default-now/home.htm?infobase=19957&doc_action=whatsnew are:

Sec. 3-151. Restricted premises.
The keeping of agricultural animals shall be restricted to premises which conform to the following requirements:
(1) The premises must be at least one acre (43,560 square feet) in size;
(2) Fences on the premises must conform to City Code requirements. Agricultural animals may not be permitted to graze, forage, or otherwise roam nearer than 25 feet from any other adjoining property lines, including municipal property. This requirement may be waived for purposes of obtaining a permit from animal control to keep agricultural animals, provided that the adjoining property is currently zoned or used for keeping agricultural animals, and a notarized, undisputed written agreement between the property owners is submitted with the application for such permit;
(3) Barns, stables, corrals, sheds, hives, coops, pens, or other similar structure where agricultural animals may be housed, fed, confined, or where food is stored, must conform to City Code requirements and may not be located nearer than 150 feet from any residential dwelling, office building, school building, church, business, or other structure under separate ownership, which is intended for human habitation or use;
(4) There must be at least one-third acre of pasture area provided on the premises for each head of livestock, ostrich, buffalo, llama, emu, rhea, alpaca, Family Cervidae, or similar animal; and
(5) Up to five individual fowl per each one-fourth acre of land may be kept upon the premises. Fowl must be kept in a pen or other enclosure located at least 150 feet from any residential dwelling, office building, school building, church, business, or other structure under separate ownership which is intended for human habitation or use. Such pen or enclosure must provide at least 100 square feet of exercise area for each bird kept therein. In order to minimize the potential for noise nuisances to adjacent or nearby premises, roosters capable of crowing shall not be allowed to be kept within 1,500 feet of any residential dwelling, office building, school building, church, business, or other structure under separate ownership which is intended for human habitation or use.

Hi, I live in grand Prairie and have the same situation. Below is the letter I sent to the mayor that lists the restrictions for the surrounding cities that I found. I talked to the local newspaper and he said he was researching it and plans to write an article.

My HOA also forbids chickens. I called Grand Prairie animal control to try to get a feel for how vigorous they enforce this code. The lady sounded pretty serious about investigating complaints, I would have 24 hours to get rid of them if caught. I don't think they go out looking for backyard coops.

I have been asking all my neighborhoods if they would be upset if they heard a little "clucking coming from my yard". So far everybody is OK with it. I have 3 more people to ask. I also asked on the HOA website. I have 2 yea's and no ney's so far. If someone gets upset I want them to say something before I get the chickens. I plan to get 3 silkies next spring. So far, my research tells me they are small, quiet, sweet and can't fly. The downside is they are not great layers and often get broody. I also figure if I get caught I can bring them in the house until I find a place for them. I know a man who has chickens in the country and I could ask him to take them.

There is a "Peep at the coups" going on this sunday in dallas. North Haven Gardens in Dallas is having a raising chickens class today at 12pm and someone will be there tomorrow to sell pullets. See their website.

I would love to find a metroplex chicken organization that gets involved with this stuff.

Anyway, Good luck with your fight, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Dear Mayor England,

Your "going green" banter on the city web page does not line up with your city ordinances for keeping chickens. The ordinance states a coop can not be within 150 ft of another residence. Grand Prairie's restrictions make it impossible for most residents to legally keep chickens. Keeping chickens is part of a more sustainable "green" lifestyle along with vegetable gardening, composting, water conservation and rain harvesting. I went to the "peep at the coops" in Dallas a few weeks ago and saw beautiful backyard gardens and well-kept chickens and coops. (It was actually rained out but the residents still allowed people to visit. It is rescheduled for May 22- you could go take a look!).

Grand Prairie has the second most restrictive ordinances in the metroplex that I can see.

My review of city ordinances shows

Dallas- no roosters
Ft Worth - can not sell < 5 chickens or dye them
Duncanville - no coop within 30 ft of another residence. nothing about roosters
Southlake - no more than 6 total chickens or rabbits. no distance limitation
Hurst - no coop within 50 ft.
Euless - no restrictions that I can see.
Irving - no restrictions
Grapevine - no coop with in 50 ft of another residence

Only Arlington has a more restrictive ordinance. They prohibit fowl completely.

Sooooo, I Have to Ask - Is this an outdated ordinance or is "Grand Prairie going green" just LIP SERVICE?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Joan Smith

Back
Top Bottom