LGD breed discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You can steal my pyr also. I have socialized her enough that she won't bite people. This is EXTREMELY important in today's litigious society in the event the dog gets loose or a neighbor kid wants to come over and pet my ducks. The dog you have is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and you probably won't stand a chance in court because you have stated repeatedly that you want a dog to be aggressive to people. You will loose everything you have, all because of a goat.

How are Maremmas with other dogs?

They can be taught to accept other dogs, but it's not the "best" thing to do.
If they know the dog is part of the "family" they accept it.
That doesnt mean they will accept dogs they dont know​

When he's relaxed, he's a gigantic goofball and we love him dearly. He doe his job well, though.

That's a beautiful animal you have there.

Your statement describes my Maremma/Akbash cross, Bigfoot perfectly.
LambsForSale2008010_edited.jpg

Quote:
Dogs that "get loose" do so because they want to roam, and roaming is part of prey drive. Our dog has no prey drive, therefore he has no desire to roam. We put him in the barnyard when we got him at 6mo of age, and the only time he's been out since then was in the back of a Jeep on the way to the vet for a rabies shot. Otherwise...he doesn't want to leave.

Quote:
We don't have ducks. We don't really have neighbors, either, sooo...

Quote:
Clearly, you're a lawyer.. Here's some law for ya.

Quote:
Emphasis, mine. Key being, OFF PREMISES and WITHOUT CAUSE.

Not to mention, if you get hurt in Kentucky while engaging in agricultural activity, it's your problem.. Livestock Guardian Dogs are an agricultural activity, so far as I'm concerned...so if you come onto MY property and enter MY barnyard, and my dog bites you...too bad.

It's no different than if you go onto someone else's property and into their barnyard and get gored by their bull...are you going to sue someone for keeping a human-aggressive bull? Well, I mean...I guess you could try, but you'll lose.

You could steal my Anatolians, but you'd have to take the sheep too. Zeus is VERY bonded to his sheep. He cleans the ewes up when they've lambed, and is the inner circle of defense. The new bride to be is the outlying patrol dog. She's only about 6 months old, but shows no aggression to poultry or people.
RomneyJan040.jpg

Quote:
Dogs that "get loose" do so because they want to roam, and roaming is part of prey drive. Our dog has no prey drive, therefore he has no desire to roam. We put him in the barnyard when we got him at 6mo of age, and the only time he's been out since then was in the back of a Jeep on the way to the vet for a rabies shot. Otherwise...he doesn't want to leave.

As per the USDA study, your breed of dog is the MOST likely to roam, and 25% caused injuries to people. Furthermore, your breed was considered a liability by 50% of the people queried. So, it seems your breed has quite a bit of prey drive as per your definition.

I think you have misunderstood your laws on agricultural activities concerning dogs. I suggest you consult an attorney. I know that if my dog hurts a child on my property, I am legally liable.

Quote:
We have only had two Anatolians, several pyrs, and a couple of St. Bernards. All of them are fine with your own family, children and are. But the Anatolians were not safe with anyone who didn't live here, even the vet. The St. Bernards are very, very people friendly, but not as loving and protective of livestock as the LGDs.

Quote:
Isn't that how all LGDs work? And why you should get them in pairs? The male stays with the flock while the female(s) patrol and bark all night around the perimeter? It always seems to be that way. The male is the last defence while the females are the border patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom