Life hitting with a SLEDGE HAMMER!

Dancing

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Prescott, KS
I know life happens and well, to me it happens in full force sometimes.

We bought our farm 3 1/2 years ago and I love it here but wow, I had forgotten how much work they are.

Well, we also paid off the old house and have been trying to finish the remodeling that got started WAY back when. Our goal is to finish it and either give it to our son to live in when he come home from Iraq (while he is attending college) or sell it and use the money to pay off our farm (freeing up money to help him with expenses while in school).

Well, the city where the old house is, has decided to CONDEM our house! We have been fighting the city to keep it. We had to work out a "repair" schedule with them, which they approved and we have been keeping to that schedule but then a new "commitee" came into "power" and they have decided that they want to tear down our house! There is NOTHING wrong with the house other than "cosmetics". It has all new siding, just needs painted. I can't believe they would tear down a house just because it needs to be painted.

So, we have been busting behinds trying to get it (two story) painted and the grounds relandscaped (guess they didn't like what was already there) all in the HOPES that they will not tear down our house.

This house, with all the remodeling done, is a $130,000 house (in Kansas real estate) on a double lot. It is a NICE house, just needs painted on the outside and the drywall finished on the inside.

We would have already finished the painting but we hit 100+ degree weather and paint just doesn't go well in that kind of heat.

I can't remember when I've felt so tired and frustraited.

Wow! Never heard of them condeming a house for a paint job! Thats bad! I though its usually for safety reasons that they condem. I'm so sorry you have to go through this mess!
hugs.gif

That's bad! I would call a lawer and see what rights you have, also call the local news, get a human interest story done. Good luck!
hugs.gif

I have ONE thing to say:

KANSAS SUCKS!!!!

Hubby and I painted million dollar+ homes in KS, and the rich folk out there seem to think they're above and beyond us ordinary citizens. Homes have to match, paint and landscapes have to fit into a certain color and design theme....And if your place has even the slightest difference, well....DOWN WITH YOU AND YOUR "POVERTY"!!!

lau.gif
Seriously, though....Interior designers, female homeowners, and homeowner associations are God's way of getting back at us for being bad....

Sounds like more than meets the eye. Are you sure this new committe doesn't want your property for something else. Sounds awfully suspious that they would tear it down just for lack of a paint job. I would try to do some checking into the building permits and applications for the area. You might be getting suckered.

Quote:
What is wrong with female homeowners?

*I put in the bold, not the op of the quote.

Last edited:
Paint it the brightest orange or purple or lime green you possibly can! my dad did that when they complained about a rental home of ours pretty funny. Why don't you rent it while you wait for your son to come back from Iraq?

Quote:
What is wrong with female homeowners?

*I put in the bold, not the op of the quote.

DITTO! What the heck does being female and a homeowner have anything to do with a situation like this?????? I know PLENTY of MEN who are picky about their landscape and paint jobs..... being male or female has nothing to do with it, it is your perception of how you THINK property should look.

To the OP; I would check this out a little further and see what they are trying to do............ It sounds underhanded to me..... greased palms... things like that

It is probably something entirely different, but I know of a house near me that was condemned by the city becuase the homeowner would not keep to the schedule and finish it. It had been being built for years upon years and there was a REAM of complaints from neighbors...about the lack of completion, about regular breaking of city code on construction start and stop times, kids breaking in and having noisy parties (which would be far less likely with a finished home), and on and on. Building permits are valid for 1 year, and a single 6-month extension is allowed. As I said, the home had been under construction for years.

It is rare that a city would condemn a single property for the land--generally one home is insufficient space for the planned road, park, whatever.

Find out in writing exactly what is needed to prevent condemnation, including the timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom