Life on the farm - Updates from Bethel

Thanks all for the compliments.

Omeletta - all I can say is that I am working from morning till night outside trying to take care of things. The home has not been lived in or the grounds cared for in 10 years. The pictures make it all look good but there is much more work than I can do. Many nights I'm too tired to cry myself to sleep. I pick a project each day and that' what I do. For example, hedge trimming - that takes many days and I still haven't gotten to all the hedges that line the brick walkways that all need to be pressure washed because they are black with mold - haven't finished all those either.

The parterres (formal French gardens) in front of house all need to be replanted with roses but need to be dug out first.

The house itself has a whole side that is rotted and needs to be replaced. We had the local lumber yard make a special tool to cut and shape cypress panels to match the ones on the house. Obviously I won't be doing that job myself.

I hired someone to cut the patures and open areas but I had mow with push mower a lot of the little yards, in between walkways and picket fences. I have some maids that come once a week and just dust mop and mop floors that get so dirty from all the cats and dogs and me going in and out while I work in the barn and coop. It takes three or four women three hours just to do that.

So I work outside all day and then inside all night. Cleaning windows, stripping floors, refinishing cabinets, pulling sheetrock off old beaded board walls to restore them.

The list is endless and I'm making myself tired just thinking about it. The plan is that once we sell some of our other properties we will have the funds to pay off this place and to pay someone to do all the major restorations that need to be made. At least, God willing, that's the plan. But for right now, it's just me. Hubby stays inside and keeps an eye on our on-line internet-based business which frees me to do all the hard physical work - Hmmmmm - maybe I should be the one to sit inside in a/c all day cause "Someone has to check e-mail" but he really could not care less if most of the things I find important are ever done or not - especially if it means him doing it - just ain't gonna happen. At our house in Covington which had 8 acres to be cut he used to say "Put a machette and map on the mail box for all I care."

This is my dream home too and I've learned to be careful what you dream for and wish for because you just might get it. Big houses and farm and property come with big demands.

Oh my, your gardenias are gorgeous. I can't believe how big they are. I can never get them to grow past a foot tall.
Your house if just perfect, you are a blessed lady.

Ruth, Just found your post tonight and read it all! Wow, you have been blessed!!!Truly, truly blessed! A wonderful family, home, pets and all those gardenias! My fav flowers! I am green with envy!!!!! But happy you are living your dream. And what about Green Morris? Maybe he is also happy that someone has moved in and cleaned up the place and making it a home. He is content to sit on the porch and rock all day! Please continue to post more beautiful pictures!!! And best of luck!

I know the feeling of things never being done when you have to move on to the next job. I have that same problem but with a 2 yr old in tow. I keep telling myself one things at a time. Just keep plowing ahead and eventually you get to the point where you can see the improvements and they take a little less effort to maintain.

Hi Miss Prissy - didn't know you had a two year old. That does make things a little harder to do. I now have Scarlett getting into everything and half the time I have to carry her out of a mess or something she shouldn't be in so it's like having a two year old. I'm really hoping for grandkids someday soon. I do so want to have little ones running around.

As far as the one project at a time - that's all I can do. You're right though once you tackle the big things and get them in shape regular maintenance isn't as much work. That's what keeps me going - knowing that a lot of the work I'm doing is really a one-time job that takes a lot of time and effort and then will be easier to keep up. For example the area where I have my little kitchen garden had a giant dead tree trunk there. I spent all day digging up that thing and sawing it and pulling it out of there. Hubby came home and saw the giant thing laying off to side and said "Are you crazy - did you really pull that thing out by yourself?" Yep - that's me - the crazy lady that wants something done and knows she has to do it herself. So know I have my garden there. As I harvested the lettuce and radishes and pulled up the snow peas vines after they finished I only had to plant my next vegetable - quick easy job. The area where I cleaned up and dug up and turned over to plant my potatoes - same thing - after harvesting them - simply planted the next item.

Next project for me is to rent a tiller and try to put in a large garden. I've realized I will really need to plant much more than I have if I want to have enough to freeze or can or preserve. BUT....one day at a time, one project at at time. Today I'm transplanting watermelon and canteloup and some tomatoes and peppers I've grown from seeds inside.

Find a farmer close by and see if they will deep plow the garden plot for you. A big tractor can turn the earth over far deeper than a tiller can. If you can deep till then use a small tiller to help you maintain you will be so very glad of all the work you won't have to do manually. You will get better vegetables from a deeply plowed plot because the roots are able to grow deeper and longer - which will help with water needs.

Then get yourself a book recommended to me by dangerouschicken - The Vegetable Gardener's Bible - by Edward C. Smith. It will completely change your outlook on having a big kitchen garden.

Thanks Miss Prissy - I'll do that. I still want to keep my little kitchen garden by back door but need a larger area for growing more than just a small row of things. My one tomato plant ended up taking up half the garden.

I only got about a grocery size bag of new red potatoes. Now that I see how easy they are to grow I want to plant them in a larger area.

Miss Prissy, you are also an inspiration! With a 2 year old in tow! Good for you ladies!

One year, at the (almost
roll.png
) beginning of my composting adventures, I realized my compost was sprouting everything, instead of killing the seeds with heat. I was heart-broken! Can't use that in a garden! I went back to it about a month later, was going to clean it out and take it all to the dump. Well, they were tomatoes growing! I took one inside (this is October in very cold Canada) put it in a south facing window, and fertilized the heck out of it. December, Christmas morning, I had fresh tomato(didn't taste the greatest, as it just started out a store tomato, and not a true breed). That sucker grew to be 11 feet tall, (must have been indeterminate ) I had to stake it up, and stake it more. My DH was worried that the tomato would soon take over the world! It was fun, and very encouraging to a new gardener.

My compost piles have done wonderfully since! Kitchen scraps don't usually make it past the chickens or the rabbits, but the rabbit poop is wonderfull in my garden! The plants love it!

Miss Prissy, how is your Californian Trio doing? I just sold my meat herd. I had purebred red satins, (has a good loin, but small in size) a flemish buck (not much meat, but has good size) and 2 french lop does. The mix we made was very good, topping out around 9 pounds with good loin. Sorry to steal your thread, Ruth! And thanks for all your very informative posts!

Tanya

I love reading your posts Ruth and I love your house! We bought our place last eyar and that is how I felt - there was only one door in this entire house - ONE and that was attached to a freaky little "fall out shelter type room" in the basement. Go figure?

Anyway - it was months before we had doors. All the windows had to be replaced, house and barn needed painting, the garden - oh don't get me started (we had no garden last year!), the pastures were 4 feet tall, and the goat head prickers were everywhere.

It makes me exhausted to even think back on it, so I understand your pain! But hang in there and keep us posted - you're an inspiration!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom