Light Brahma or Giant Blue Cochin

popsicle

Songster
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Looking at the mountains in MT
Hey everybody,
I got excited and jumped the gun when I saw the ranch store had chicks. I picked out six new birds for our new mini-acreage.

At one brooder I said I wanted one Light Brahma, as the guy reached in to grab one I pointed at a nice healthy chick with fuzzy legs that looked similar to my previous Buff Brahmas. When I got home and opened the box and looked at the chick a little closer it occured to me that Light Brahma chicks probably don't look that much like Buff Brahmas and then it also occured to me that there were also Giant Blue Cochins in the same brooder. Looking at pictures online I can't really tell which I actually got.
Keep in mind this is a hatchery chick (Welp). THANKS!

a brahma will have a pea comb (three rows of little bumps) and a cochin will have a single comb (flat with serrated points). that's probably the easiest way to tell at this age.

a brahma will have a pea comb (three rows of little bumps) and a cochin will have a single comb (flat with serrated points). that's probably the easiest way to tell at this age.
At this wee age the bumps really are not apparent and the comb seems more of just a wide flat-ish area, maybe 3 times as wide as and single comb. Look very closely at the comb straight on and see of you see any indication of a ridge. Although a light Brahma can have some gray tones to its fluff, this one seems grayer (like no yellow except for a little on the face) than I have seen any LB before and I am suspicious.

popscicle: can you get a straight -on shot of the comb (you may have to wit until she is sleeping). She sure is cute!

Last edited:
At this wee age the bumps really are not apparent and the comb seems more of just a wide flat-ish area, maybe 3 times as wide as and single comb. Look very closely at the comb straight on and see of you see any indication of a ridge. Although a light Brahma can have some gray tones to its fluff, this one seems grayer (like no yellow except for a little on the face) than I have seen any LB before and I am suspicious.

popscicle: can you get a straight -on shot of the comb (you may have to wit until she is sleeping). She sure is cute!
Yes, I'm suspicious about the coloring, too. Doesn't seem to be light enough for a light brahma baby. I'd love to see a straight-on shot of the comb if you can get one, popsicle.
smile.png

Hey everybody,
I got excited and jumped the gun when I saw the ranch store had chicks. I picked out six new birds for our new mini-acreage.

At one brooder I said I wanted one Light Brahma, as the guy reached in to grab one I pointed at a nice healthy chick with fuzzy legs that looked similar to my previous Buff Brahmas. When I got home and opened the box and looked at the chick a little closer it occured to me that Light Brahma chicks probably don't look that much like Buff Brahmas and then it also occured to me that there were also Giant Blue Cochins in the same brooder. Looking at pictures online I can't really tell which I actually got.
Keep in mind this is a hatchery chick (Welp). THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom