Light Brahma sexing

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
I’ve seen so much conflicting information about this. I have light Brahma chicks, about 10 days old. So many videos about sexing the chicks. Everything from “yellow are most likely males”, to “longer wing feathers at this age are females”, “early tail feather are females”, and others say “there’s absolutely no way for a layman to tell until they are at least 9 weeks old for this breed”. What’s the concensus from this group on sexing light Brahmas about 1-2 weeks old?

Last edited:
Pictures of the chicks? My males had dark backs, while the females had Backs that weren't dark.

Boys
20230321_182614.jpg
20230321_182622.jpg
Girls
20230321_182525.jpg
20230321_182512.jpg

Pictures of the chicks? My males had dark backs, while the females had Backs that weren't dark.

BoysView attachment 3637579View attachment 3637580GirlsView attachment 3637581View attachment 3637582
I got them at TSC supposed to be all females and Buff Brahma. When I posted pics for this group last week the consensus was light Brahmas. They are all different shades of very dark grey to pure yellow. Half have short wings and there are a couple with little tail feathers. I honestly don’t know what I have! Here are pics I took today.

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4508.jpeg
    IMG_4508.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4507.jpeg
    IMG_4507.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4511.jpeg
    IMG_4511.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 9
I got them at TSC supposed to be all females and Buff Brahma. When I posted pics for this group last week the consensus was light Brahmas. They are all different shades of very dark grey to pure yellow. Half have short wings and there are a couple with little tail feathers. I honestly don’t know what I have! Here are pics I took today.
Mine came from TSC too.

Sometimes they mix all pullets, with straight run chicks, or forget to change the sign label to straight run.

Be sure to post updates?

Mine, I was able to do both. I have exactly 2 cockerels, & 2 pullets all of which are now 5 months old.

You can also get heads 4 times in a row while flipping a coin, but that doesn't mean that your coin is guaranteed to land on heads every time. 🙂 Statistically speaking, you need a minimum sample size that meets your criteria before such data should be considered anything more than coincidental. You can't simply say it worked for you 4 times and therefore must work all the time. In statistical analyses, the minimum inputs depends on what variables you're imposing on your test, but I often see 20 quoted as the minimum sample size for simple tests such as these. It should be noted that 20 positive inputs does not mean definite proof that it works, either, but simply lends more credibility to your conclusions from that data.

I agree with the other poster, neither wing sexing nor sexing by down color is a guarantee in this breed. I would suggest updating on these chicks when they're at least 6 weeks of age for more accurate answers.

I’ve seen so much conflicting information about this. I have light Brahma chicks, about 10 days old. So many videos about sexing the chicks. Everything from “yellow are most likely males”, to “longer wing feathers at this age are females”, “early tail feather are females”, and others say “there’s absolutely no way for a layman to tell until they are at least 9 weeks old for this breed”. What’s the concensus from this group on sexing light Brahmas about 1-2 weeks old?
Hey! Light Brahmas can be tricky to sex at 1-2 weeks old. The consensus is to wait until they're at least 9 weeks for a more accurate determination. Enjoy your chicks for now! 🐣🐔

Back
Top Bottom