Light for my coop- No electricity in coop

jww6419

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
I need some feedback on my plans. My chicken coop(small coop 3'x5' for 3 hens) doesn't have electricity and I don't want to run and cord all the way out to it so I was think about this. I have a rechargeable marine battery i use for my trolling motor in the boat. I don't do much fishing in the winter so I was thinking I could use the battery hooked to a 400 watt power inverter with a digital timer plugged into it and a lamp kit with a 15-25 watt bulb set to come on early in the morning for 6 hours in the morning to provide extra winter lighting. I've never used a inverter or anything like this so any advice is welcome. What size bulb? larger inverter? different light kit idea? anything you think could make it better.

Last edited:
I was looking at using a couple of these... Tap lights, no electricity required

86051_taplight.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Last edited:
Last year for Christmas my kids went to Harbor Freight or whatever and got a very bright led shop light with its own solar panel and enclosed battery system. I just use it to check on the birds after dark, really over kill for that, but now that you mention the winter light subject, I could move it or get another one for inside. I think they run $50-$75 now.

for the tool shed, I got a two pack for $20 at Costco, small led on montion-sensor, runs on 3 AA batteries. 3 months still same batteries.

Hi! I was wanting to do the same thing, but with a solar trickle charger. I am interested to see if anyone else has tried anything like you are suggesting. I have looked at the solar lights with the remote collectors, but haven't figured out how to attach a timer. Looking forward to more responses!

If you can find a timer that will work, you'd be better off to use a 12 volt LED light.

Inverters themselves take a lot of power to run, and most have cooling fans that add to the drain.
The battery will run down quick when it's cold

http://www.whistlergroup.com/faq-inverters-answers.asp

How much power does the inverter need from the batteries?

As a rule of thumb (leaning on the high side), an inverter will require 10% of its continuous wattage rating from a battery. Example: A 300 watt inverter providing 300 watts to an appliance will require 30 amps from the battery. The same inverter providing 150 watts to an appliance will require 15 amps from the battery.​

Back
Top Bottom