Light Sussex crosses?

Deo

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2018
I’ve crossed my Light Sussex roo (has a bit of gold leakage, S/s+) with my New Hamphire hen (s+). Will any of the hens from this pair have the father’s phenotype without the gold leakage?

In order for the sex-linked to work you need a colored roo over a Light Sussex hen. If you reverse the sexes, it's not sex-linked.
Best,
Karen

I’ve crossed my Light Sussex roo (has a bit of gold leakage, S/s+) with my New Hamphire hen (s+). Will any of the hens from this pair have the father’s phenotype without the gold leakage?

If he is indeed S/s+ then he is really not a light Sussex! but he could be just a brassy Silver S/S so if you cross him with a NH hen all of the hens will be Silver like him and the males will be S/s+ and will show yellow pyle zones and silver breast.

For example this is a cross between a RIR rooster to a Delaware hen(barred silver columbian type) so a true sex linked cross) but to ilustrate how the rooster may look
sexlink1.jpg

is hard for females to show any signs of Autosomal Red or Mahogany specially in heterozygous form. but if your rooster is really S/s+ then 50% of the pullets will be gold based and look like NH

If he is indeed S/s+ then he is really not a light Sussex! but he could be just a brassy Silver S/S so if you cross him with a NH hen all of the hens will be Silver like him and the males will be S/s+ and will show yellow pyle zones and silver breast.

For example this is a cross between a RIR rooster to a Delaware hen(barred silver columbian type) so a true sex linked cross) but to ilustrate how the rooster may look
View attachment 1724791

is hard for females to show any signs of Autosomal Red or Mahogany specially in heterozygous form. but if your rooster is really S/s+ then 50% of the pullets will be gold based and look like NH

I’ve always thought he was S/s+ because he has brassy hackles and we keep him out of the sun. If he is S/s+ instead of S/S, some of the pullets will be silver without any brassiness, right?

I’ve always thought he was S/s+ because he has brassy hackles and we keep him out of the sun. If he is S/s+ instead of S/S, some of the pullets will be silver without any brassiness, right?
Brassiness on Silver pullets is very rare, if he is S/s+ some of the pullets will look like pure New Hampshire(actually 50% of pullets, but if you are hatching less than 10 eggs you may not even get one due to low numbers)

Back
Top Bottom