Light Sussex In the USA

ChickenGrit

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Crockett, VA
Hi Everyone,

I have had a hard time finding Light Sussex chickens anywhere. Even here on Backyardchickens.com, so I wanted to start a thread for Light Sussex in VA or really anywhere. Let's compare notes, stories, and maybe even trade some roosters?

This is one of my hens. She is almost 6 months old.

Last edited:
I have been looking for them myself. There is a place here that is just starting to get them and I am supposed to get three hens from him. He just told me he still needs to sex them. I had a beautiful light Sussex and had to put her down. I really miss her that's why I'd like more. I live in Salisbury, NC and the man I mentioned is in a small town just north of here. He business in called J&S Farms. He has a website and his email address is [email protected]. If you have any luck finding some please let me know..thanks, NeeCee51

I may have a few young cockerels to trade/give off in a few weeks. I have a brood of 9 and I think that 2 or 3 might be roos ( their wings are feathering out significantly slower than the others and there is a hint of bright red coming through in the faces). They were born around July 4th so they are around 5 weeks old. It will be a few more weeks until I can tell for sure what they are going to be. They are born from a Greenfire line roo and a Waltz Canadian line Hen.

I was able to get them from J&S farms here and now have 5 that were hatched about 14 weeks ago. The roosters and 2 hens. I will probably trade the three roosters for some hens with the same man. They are very pretty..

I live in northern Colorado and hatched out 9 cockerels and just as many hens from my flock of ten, during March and April. Some of the cockerels are amongst my largest bIrds, and the pullets are just now laying the occasional pullet egg. I love my LS: they have mild dispositions and are so pretty. They are sooo people oriented and will come right into the house if there are any doors open. They are vigorous and gluttonous, beware. My 1+ yo hens are VERY good layers; they easily go broody but have yet to hatch any chicks. They nest and set communally and can cope with small spaces if necessary. My cocks suffered quite a bit of frostbite on their large combs last winter, but their living arrangements weren't the best. Other than that, they have been remarkably hardy to both cold and heat. They CAN forage well if free ranged but, admittedly, are easily addicted to hand outs from their human caregivers. My growing flock of Silkies are currently brooding a half dozen wee ones, and two of my big LS cockerels jumped into their small pen and took up permanent residence with them all: Silkie hens, cockerels, and little babies. The LS have no interest in any of them, I think, only in their food. They are not all so mild mannered, but their dispositions do tend to be quite docile. These are a great dual purpose breed; I recommend them to anyone. I will try to upload pics when I have a few more minutes. Am done hatching this year, but if anyone wants chicks next year, I will be happy to send week old straight runs if you send me the proper mailing box and money for shipping.

Hey, How do I contact you? I am interested in Light Sussex as one of my breeding roosters in the future flock that I am getting. [email protected]

Thanks
Sorry. I have not been on backyard chickens for a few years. :oops: I no longer have light sussex. They didn't lay very well and the eggs were probably medium. I now have White Leghorns that lay great, Black Australorp that lay ok, and Easter Eggers that I love the color of the eggs, but they do not lay well. Thinking of trying some production breeds like Cinnamon Queens, or Black or Red Sexlink.

Sorry. I have not been on backyard chickens for a few years. :oops: I no longer have light sussex. They didn't lay very well and the eggs were probably medium. I now have White Leghorns that lay great, Black Australorp that lay ok, and Easter Eggers that I love the color of the eggs, but they do not lay well. Thinking of trying some production breeds like Cinnamon Queens, or Black or Red Sexlink.
Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom