Light Sussex Thread!!!

Pics
Light Sussex lay cream to brown eggs. They are friendly and free range well. Very pretty until they decide to take a mud bath. It sure is hard to keep a white chicken white.

Hey Everyone,
This past spring I ordered some L.S from the Green Fire Farm Lines and hatched out what appears to be a rooster and a hen
smile.png
. Sadly, I am going to be moving in the next couple of months and my folks and I have decided that I need to sell the current hen and rooster. However, my parents also have said that because we will be replacing our flock next year I can replace our current flock with L.S.My first and last attempt at hatching shipped eggs did not go very well, out of 12 eggs I hatched the two birds I have to sell. At this point because the L.S are such a rare breed around where I live, I am trying to do some research ahead of time and was wondering if you all know if there are hatcheries or members on BYC that sell L.S chicks? If not chicks what about hatching eggs? So far from reading around on BYC and surfing the web, the few hatcheries and personal breeders I have found in the U.S all have stock from Green Fire. I was wonder if you all knew of breeders that had stock other then green fires lines and how I would go about finding other breeders of the L.S besides Green Fire Farms? Thank you all so much for the help!

Hi cjhubbs,
Yes, I can help you. There are three places I know of which carry strains not of Australian descent.
1. Walt Boese, Deer Lodge, MT. ( Facebook and {business} Walt's Black Powder and Archery). Has pure English strain Light Sussex he imported years ago from Canada. I have this strain I got from Walt.
2. Waltz's Ark in Colorado. (website). He has three strains and some mixed strain flocks. Will sell you whichever you want. Canadian, US, Australian, mixed strains of the previous three.
3. Ms. Robertson in Vancouver, British Columbia. TruNorth Heritage Hatchery (website). A fascinating, talented lady. TruNorth is a partnership of 4 breeders. Ms. Robertson breeds Light Sussex using population genetics, striving to breed them for their productive qualities. Because the Sussex fowl's production attributes are so integral to their breed type, her birds also win in the show ring. She is comfortable with sending birds or eggs to the US.
Best,
Karen
Waterford Light Sussex
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Ms. Robertson (so odd to call her that :p)

Is my mentor. I have some of her stock.

I also got invited to go to her place this past summer but the parents would not let me :/ There's always next summer.

She is incredibly busy right now. As her household increased so if you do contact her be patient she will get back to you!

Ms. Robertson (so odd to call her that :p) Is my mentor. I have some of her stock.

I also got invited to go to her place this past summer but the parents would not let me :/ There's always next summer.

She is incredibly busy right now. As her household increased so if you do contact her be patient she will get back to you!
HiYa Callducks!
How's livin'? My Light Sussex youngsters are 18 thru 26 weeks now. Got some surprises with them. Have some nice ones too.
How did your hatch go this year?
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote:
Hatching went well.

I have dealt with supper broody hens! My god I think every hen and pullet I have has gone broody this summer!! It's unreal. I talk to Emily, and she said it's just the Sussex's way of taking a break and that some would make very poor broody's. Dad cleaned a nest out the other week. We have one sitting in it all ready!

It's like a production line I can't get over it. Funny though. Very protective mommas!

I Have got a few good birds. One that has too much colombian but kind of reminds me of a Cornish so I have plans for him....

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Silver Sussex and a Specked Sussex? As far as I can see from googled pictures they look the same.
Does anyone have pictures of each?

Back
Top Bottom