Lighting

SarahBeth9394

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Our coop is in a place where we can't hook up electricity. I'd like to put in a light because the laying is becoming real sparse. I'd like to do something on a battery with a timer. Anyone got that kind of set up? and can it be done for cheap?

Yes, my mobile hen houses are provided light via two 12 volt marine batteries that are charged by five 15 watt amorphous solar panels. Total cost, including a 12 volt digital timer and 40 amp automotive relay was about $500.

Last edited:
Yikes that's not cheap and probably alot more than I need. I could do a light with a battery and just go and manually turn it off and on. Our coop is a converted bunny hutch so I have to go find a light that has some sort of safety shield. I'm not worried about it heating the coop so I would probably go with a 60 watt bulb. We had a stormy weekend with alot of overcast and since then I'm getting just one or two eggs daily from 9 ladies.

Last edited:
You could probably get away with using LED battery powered lights or buy a dozen or so of those cheap solar yard lights and rig them to work.

Havent tried this but someone made a solar light. on u tube.Took a clear 64 oz plastic soda bottle and a pliable rubber flanged pipe collar made a hole in the roof and put the collar in filled the bottle with water and inserted it top up the sun was amplified from the water in the bottle and put out some pretty bright light.Cold area for winter might have to add some rubbing alcohol or vodka to keep it from freezing.of course it wouldnt extend daylight.
There were other really interesting home made solar panels there too.

Back
Top Bottom