Lighting

Peggy-Sue

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am new to chickens and am looking to add a light source to my coop for this winter. I have a smaller coop so I don't need anything too big. I would like my chickens to receive a few extra hours of light during the winter months as well as some heat off the bulb. My question is what kind of lights/bulbs setup do you guys have??? Anyone have pictures???

I have a large coop so I will be using an extra brood lamp for heat if needed over the perch area. I currently am suplimenting morning daylight by a 300w floodlight on a timer set to come on at 5:30 and turn off at 8:00.

I have a large coop so I will be using an extra brood lamp for heat if needed over the perch area. I currently am suplimenting morning daylight by a 300w floodlight on a timer set to come on at 5:30 and turn off at 8:00.
How cold does it get, to need a 300W lamp? I can just imagine those chickens, dozing on their roosts, then at 5:30 in the AM, BLAMMM, 300Ws of light exploding suddenly into their faces. What a goodmorning everyday.
Jack

How cold does it get, to need a 300W lamp? I can just imagine those chickens, dozing on their roosts, then at 5:30 in the AM, BLAMMM, 300Ws of light exploding suddenly into their faces. What a goodmorning everyday.
Jack

No,no,no. I am not using the flood light(300W) for a heat lamp. It is mounted on the wall at the top of my coop for supliment daylight. I have a brood lamp with a 125W IR lamp over the roosts. I have not had to use the brood lamp for heat yet. I will only use that when it gets below freezing, which happens for about 2 weeks in Jan. where I live.

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing. This is our first winter with the girls so I don't want them to freeze! I purchased battery operated LED lights on a timer that I was planning to put in the coop this weekend. They don't add any heat so I was going to also use a light bulb. We've had a few nights of 30 degree weather but they were okay!

Back
Top Bottom