Lime whitewash

It will just be like applying a second coat of paint. Make sure first coat dries . Make your whitewash less watery this time.
Don't overbrush the application. Make sure there is plenty of product on your brush, and don't expect it to cover a large area, between dipping. If you are using a roller, same applies.

642942E3-9563-43D8-AEA3-7EA57773E25F.jpeg
Oh no! It rained last nite and this morning and it looks like the moisture seeped through the walls! The lime wash is faded but worse is that moisture gets in so easily. The monitor windows were open, door and side windows closed. Isn’t this bad?!!!

It is not good. The key to healthy coop environment is no drafts and dry!

The monitor windows are normally mounted so that the windows open out with the hinges on top. This approach keeps the rain outside in most cases. If your rain was abnormal (high winds from a unusual direction?) then it may be ok but if this is normal you will have to find a way to keep the rain out.

However, you said the problem is rain seeping through the cracks. That obviously is a bigger problem. The original Woods design often had cedar shakes covering the walls:
upload_2019-4-26_11-30-11.png

An alternative is to nail "battens" (1" by 1" lengths of wood) over the cracks on the outside.

Others may chime in with other alternatives.

I am very glad this post came up as I am about to start construction of a Woods style coop and this will impact how I will do the build.

Last edited:
It was not a heavy rain. The monitor windows do open out and there are battens covering the cracks on the outside. The walls that I didn’t Limewash yet feel dry. Maybe the air moisture damped the whitewash? Or whitewash was not completely dry? Or maybe whitewash doesn’t work in a woods coop?

Back
Top Bottom