Limping chicken, HELP PLEASE!?

bphajek

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Our 9 month old Dixie just started limping this afternoon. She is favoring her left leg a bit- not terribly, but enough to be noticed. We checked for Bumblefoot and do not see any evidence of that. We checked all up and down her legs and toes and everything seemed OK and she didn't seem distressed by us doing this, or when we did the vaseline on her comb. She did walk around the yard for a while, doing her usual thing, just has the limp. Our other two girls seem fine.
They have been in the coop more than usual the past couple of days because of the weather. They were going in and out of the coop to the run some, but very little in the yard because of the snow and ice. This morning, they finally wanted to walk around the yard, so did for a bit- I guess it is possible she slipped this morning while they were out and I was cleaning and getting fresh food and water, etc before we went to school/work and I didn't notice when we put them back in the run, although we are usually pretty observant.
I have read a lot of threads and just don't know what to do. The girls have a very secure coop and run. When we are here they are in the yard. I don't really have a way to separate her outside where I would feel that she would be safe from predators.
We have a metal dog crate that we could use inside if it was absolutely necessary, but I don't know if being inside where it is much warmer would negatively affect her when she went back outside. Or if she would be stressed being in the crate? We might be able to put the crate in the shed, but again, would be being separated in a strange place stress her out, or is it more important that she be put somewhere where she can't get around as much?
Is there something we should do now? I read about giving her half of an 81mg aspirin tablet in case it is a sprain or strain. Or should we just wait and see? I apologize, this is our first year of having chickens and our first possible injury, and suggestions would be very welcome. Beverly

Hello! If she's just started limping give her a day or so to recover on her own. If she worsens or is being picked on by the others in the flock, you need to protect her. I'd nix the aspirin for now as that may be a bit corrosive on her crop.

Thank you so much, we will keep a close eye on her for the next day or two and go from there. Thank you again!

By the next day she was better and then much better within a few more- no limping at all. Now she started limping again yesterday- pretty much the same situation and weather etc as before and the same side. Any ideas or suggestions please? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom