Limping duck?

MissMonty

Songster
5 Years
Sep 12, 2015
Dayton, OH
So we have had a round of bad luck with our ducks lately! We have a female duck living in our garage right now thanks to our rooster....or well our dinner now.

Now I have another duck that started limping. I intially thought it was Bumblefoot but when I cleaned off his foot and got a better look it seems like that may not be the case. Ideas as to what this is?

Attachments

• E693FB6C-2336-4901-8049-43EF0A47D87A.jpeg
    E693FB6C-2336-4901-8049-43EF0A47D87A.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 15
I have giant Pekin ducks. They get heavy and don’t walk well, but I have only had bumblefoot once in 4 years.
I feed the peas in a bucket of clean water. Or pool if you have one. They will eat them like crazy.
Make sure they have a place to get dry. Ours rest on hay in their hut. We change the bedding often during the western wa wet winters.

You can also try some brewers yeast if it is Niacin. My experience is that some ducks just have weak legs and are prone to injury. Keep them as quiet as possible and it usually gets better in 7-10 days. Can take a few days but you will notice gradual improvement. My first flock often had leg injuries, my current flock almost never. Luck of the genetic draw.

Back
Top Bottom