liquid calcium gluconate 23% solution

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Hi. I was sorting through some old animal supplies and found this 23% Calcium gluconate. I had purchased the bottle when I rescued a battery hen but never opened it and the hen recovered well. I know have 5 hens mostly healthy as far as I know. Is there a way I could/should use this product or should I just pitch it?

Is there an expiration date on it? You can use human calcium citrate tablets with vitamin d to treat low calcium or egg binding. But if it is not terribly old, I would hold onto it.

Can I add this to the water? My hens stopped laying about 1 month ago when I opened the cage at 5 am and a raccoon killed my Brahman.

Is there an expiration date on it? You can use human calcium citrate tablets with vitamin d to treat low calcium or egg binding. But if it is not terribly old, I would hold onto it.
May I ask what strength and brand and how much to provide. I have 6 hens going through something that has to do with the starting of their most recent molt... Since then none have begun laying again and now have enlarged abdomens and are breathing rather heavily.

May I ask what strength and brand and how much to provide. I have 6 hens going through something that has to do with the starting of their most recent molt... Since then none have begun laying again and now have enlarged abdomens and are breathing rather heavily.
Calcium is only good if you suspect an egg bound hen or if they are laying shell-less eggs. Any brand is fine. Walmart and other vitamin counters have calcium citrate with d3. For a regular sized chicken 600 mg of calcium daily is best.

Calcium is only good if you suspect an egg bound hen or if they are laying shell-less eggs. Any brand is fine. Walmart and other vitamin counters have calcium citrate with d3. For a regular sized chicken 600 mg of calcium daily is best.
My one gal has ongoing issues with eyp now the others are all having identical symptoms... Swollen abdomen, heavy breathing, and no laying at all for approx 2 months when they began molting. Only concerned because of the labored breathing and swelling of undersides.

My one gal has ongoing issues with eyp now the others are all having identical symptoms... Swollen abdomen, heavy breathing, and no laying at all for approx 2 months when they began molting. Only concerned because of the labored breathing and swelling of undersides.
It might be best to start a newer thread of your own in the emergency forum giving details of age, breeds, and if any have slow crops, or any water belly symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom