Calcium Gluconate dosage

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
Kwackers has had issues with rubber eggs for months. For equally as long I have been giving her Calcium citrate (she has always had oyster shell available). It helps a little, the shell gets slightly more calcified and then we are back where we started. I finally found Calcium Gluconate liquid (23%) at the store. I assume I give it orally, down one side of her throat, but I don’t know the dosage. Any help would be appreciated!

Kwackers has had issues with rubber eggs for months. For equally as long I have been giving her Calcium citrate (she has always had oyster shell available). It helps a little, the shell gets slightly more calcified and then we are back where we started. I finally found Calcium Gluconate liquid (23%) at the store. I assume I give it orally, down one side of her throat, but I don’t know the dosage. Any help would be appreciated!
The amount I give is ~0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight, which is 100 mg/kg.
Math for 1 pound:
1 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~0.2 ml

Math for a five pound bird is:
5 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~1.0 ml
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Last edited:
I currently have a 2 1/2 year old hen that has stopped giving eggs and then went in to decline. Yesterday, I cleaned off the caked on poo and put on butt balm. Today, she was still lethargic, so I felt around her back area and felt what I thought was an internal egg. Tonight I gave her a warm water soak and then blew dried most of her hair. I have her in a cat carrier. I also massaged as best I could around the area hoping for movement of what I think is a egg. I just got back from Tractor Supply and gave her 1ml of the Calcium Gluconate liquid (23%). Several questions: 1) How long does it take to work? What should I see happening? 2) Can I give her a second dose? If so, how far apart? I do believe she has been egg bound for about a week. She had slowed down on her egg production due to age so I did not think much about it until I noticed her caked on feces at her vent. She is drinking a little and eating a little. She still has some poo coming through also.

I currently have a 2 1/2 year old hen that has stopped giving eggs and then went in to decline. Yesterday, I cleaned off the caked on poo and put on butt balm. Today, she was still lethargic, so I felt around her back area and felt what I thought was an internal egg. Tonight I gave her a warm water soak and then blew dried most of her hair. I have her in a cat carrier. I also massaged as best I could around the area hoping for movement of what I think is a egg. I just got back from Tractor Supply and gave her 1ml of the Calcium Gluconate liquid (23%). Several questions: 1) How long does it take to work? What should I see happening? 2) Can I give her a second dose? If so, how far apart? I do believe she has been egg bound for about a week. She had slowed down on her egg production due to age so I did not think much about it until I noticed her caked on feces at her vent. She is drinking a little and eating a little. She still has some poo coming through also.
this is a duck right?
Is she in moult? How does her vent look, you mentioned poop being caked on?

This is a chicken hen. I cleaned her butt area a few days ago and put butt balm on it because it was red. Her vent looks fine. I had her in a carrier overnight in my house in a warmed room. I let her outside this afternoon and she is walking around. Yesterday I did get a glove and Vaseline and checked inside her vent to try to feel for an egg that way. I did not feel one. I had been feeling a hard lump under her vent area.

This is a chicken hen. I cleaned her butt area a few days ago and put butt balm on it because it was red. Her vent looks fine. I had her in a carrier overnight in my house in a warmed room. I let her outside this afternoon and she is walking around. Yesterday I did get a glove and Vaseline and checked inside her vent to try to feel for an egg that way. I did not feel one. I had been feeling a hard lump under her vent area.
Ahh okay. So because this is an older thread, and about a duck specifically, it comes up in the duck forum. You may want to post in the emergencies section in the forum so that our knowledgeable chicken keepers will see it asap. Do you know how to start a thread there?
If she still hasn't laid I would definitely give her a bit more calcium.
Let me @Miss Lydia and @casportpony as they may be able to help if they're around!

Back
Top Bottom