Calcium Supplement dosage for my Female Mallard

Mallarducks

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2023
Hello I have a 6 almost 7 month old female mallard this she is about ready to lay her first egg. Of course I want to make sure she is getting adequate amounts of calcium I however don’t want to incorporate oyster shells for any on the side dishes because I have a drake and he basically will eat everything. So I wanted to give her supplement orally with this reptile powder mixed with water in a needless oral syringe but I’m not sure how much female ducks need she is 2lbs. I appreciate the help with the dosage :]

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1676.jpeg
    IMG_1676.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 10
this is aharder than i thought but here is a pic of the label of the calcium gluconate we give to ducks when they need extra boost of calcium if they are eggbound
and we give 1 ml a day , orally by syringe with no needle, for a few days or up to a week if needed for a adult duck . so from this pic, im seeing that 100ml has 23 grams calcium gluconate that means 1 ml has .23 grams.
so we give .23 grams, but i would not want to have to give every day for the rest of her life by syringe orally there is always a risk of aspiration even if you follow this https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-03-04 19-53-40.png
    Screenshot from 2024-03-04 19-53-40.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 7
this is aharder than i thought but here is a pic of the label of the calcium gluconate we give to ducks when they need extra boost of calcium if they are eggbound
and we give 1 ml a day , orally by syringe with no needle, for a few days or up to a week if needed for a adult duck . so from this pic, im seeing that 100ml has 23 grams calcium gluconate that means 1 ml has .23 grams.
so we give .23 grams, but i would not want to have to give every day for the rest of her life by syringe orally there is always a risk of aspiration even if you follow this https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I see
I see thanks so much! I will do the oral injections for emergencies and use up the rest of the oyster shells I have and let her eat as needed.

Back
Top Bottom