Wild Female Mallard in my pond

amyalex60

Hatching
Jul 26, 2023
A wild female Mallard showed up in our pond about 2 months ago in Western North Carolina in the Smokies. She shows no intention of leaving. I corresponded with the local waterfowl folks who basically said if she seems happy and eating that she's ok. I had hoped that she would move on and find a real duck's life, not just one that includes a drake decoy that we call her boyfriend. It seems she can fly cause she flies from one end of the pond to the other (granted that's not a really long way). Should I get her a friend from like the Tractor Supply cause she seems pretty lonely? She was getting excited when my dog would come down, but my dog really wants nothing to do with her. If I get her another duck, do I just stick a ducking in there with her or find a more adult duck? If she sticks around till winter, what do I do for her?

could be a bad idea to get ducks from TSC as those breeds of ducks tend to not be fliers and if she does decide to leave then your back at square 1. she may also not accept the duck you get then you have a whole other issue

Duck&Cover and her boyfriend

Attachments

• IMG_5256.jpeg
    IMG_5256.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom