Wild rescue Mallard laying almost 20 eggs?!

You can and should be collecting the eggs daily, and they are edible (and delicious! Duck eggs are great for baked goods). The only reason you would not want to collect eggs is for the hopes that she will go broody, which I don't think is what you want.
Yeah, we've been collecting them! She's otherwise in good spirits. Was a little moody for a few days but who can blame her!

BB is the darker one, slight bigger with a completely dark black beak. And the other one's on the couples image are a little bit lighter in complexion, and are a bit shorter than her.
These are from the internet, but these are pretty accurate to what I observed. She was taller than the other female for sure.
Do you have baby pics? She sounds more like a Rouen to me.

She is currently in our care and is fine for now but I am aware of the laws for sure. An I should have been clear that she laid these eggs once a day since the last egg. Not all at once. And This Mallard was not taken, but she waddled up to us actually from the middle of a bush. The mother did not come around for several days and was the only duckling in the area. We did try calling a wildlife rescue but none were available near we lived, unfortunately.
Her Bumblefoot is being treated.
I just have read that 13 or 15 may be the max and was wondering about egg laying going over that limit.
If there is no concern for egg laying, than all is well I suppose.
Domestic mallards that I've owned have laid 40+ eggs in the spring (each hen). My thoughts are they want a successful hatch and keep laying until they determine it is too late in the year to successfully rear a bunch of babies that would be ready to migrate south before freeze up.

Do you plan on getting anymore ducks? They're flock animals, and while they can enjoy human and other animal companionship, they are happiest being with their own kind.
Yes, we do intend to get her a friend once I move to my new house in a couple of weeks! Not sure if they will permit it, but we are looking into it for sure.

Last edited:
Do you have baby pics? She sounds more like a Rouen to me.
She only has one stripe in her eye area.

1711396015167.png
baby

tempImage0kja6v.jpg
adult

She only has one stripe in her eye area.

View attachment 3781625 baby

View attachment 3781627 adult
Looks like a mallard to me, At first I thought you would have described a Rouen, but I think you should take VERY good care of her, It's not often to have a good layer. Sell the eggs to make good profit, If you plan to get a male for her make sure you get at least 1 other female so she is not bred to death by the male.

Looks like a mallard to me, At first I thought you would have described a Rouen, but I think you should take VERY good care of her, It's not often to have a good layer. Sell the eggs to make good profit, If you plan to get a male for her make sure you get at least 1 other female so she is not bred to death by the male.
Yeah apparently she is!! For the meantime, we’re keeping her as a “pet” but will be getting another female friend soon once I move to my new house! Can probably only have 2max for the moment anyway! I was just wondering if a lot of eggs above the normal “target” range was a good thing or not! Guess she’s just got a comfortable life! hah

Update...she has laid 21 eggs! Still going strong and full of energy! What in the world? haha

Back
Top Bottom