Wild rescue Mallard laying almost 20 eggs?!

BBMom

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2024
Hey everyone!! I have a rescued WILD mallard with angel wing who is almost 8 months old. No mate, but plenty of attention. She has been laying eggs. She did a first set of 14.Took those. Then a few days later, she has a total of 19 as of today?! This doesn't seem normal? She's acting fine though! She has a slight bumblebfoot from an attempted lading on some rocks, but otherwise, her demeanor is good and is a spoiled princess! Eggs are strong and healthy as well. She eats Purina Duck feed, grazes all day in the yard, and has a few mealworm treats and fresh water all the time. Me and my sister spend a lot of time together with her and she enjoys it! And then she naps in her clean pillow pads on the porch... 😆 We have been removing the eggs and ruffling the nest spots. Please let me know if this is the right thing to do so she doesn't remain broody or laying? Wrong food? Still need to supplement calcium anyway? Or just let her sit on any remaining eggs? Seems like a lot of eggs for a first clutch ( and just a wild mallard in general?)! I've read so much info of taking the eggs to stop broodiness, but is this the case where I need to stop taking them?

A few things we're changing :
  1. No more petting when she "bows"! Hah!
  2. Less treats
  3. And limiting her time indoors in the later evenings. Maybe the lights?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Do you have baby pics? She sounds more like a Rouen to me.
She only has one stripe in her eye area.

1711396015167.png
baby

tempImage0kja6v.jpg
adult

It sounds like you're just finding hidden nests. Ducks are only capable of laying one egg a day, very rarely two, and they don't lay every single day. Since she is laying eggs she is not broody. I'm not sure why you are concerned that she is laying eggs? That's what healthy ducks do.

Have you been treating her bumble foot?

As nuthatches already said, it's illegal to take ducks (or any wild birds) from the wild, and in some states it's illegal to keep Mallards.

BB is the darker one, slight bigger with a completely dark black beak. And the other one's on the couples image are a little bit lighter in complexion, and are a bit shorter than her.
These are from the internet, but these are pretty accurate to what I observed. She was taller than the other female for sure.
Do you have baby pics? She sounds more like a Rouen to me.

She only has one stripe in her eye area.

View attachment 3781625 baby

View attachment 3781627 adult
Looks like a mallard to me, At first I thought you would have described a Rouen, but I think you should take VERY good care of her, It's not often to have a good layer. Sell the eggs to make good profit, If you plan to get a male for her make sure you get at least 1 other female so she is not bred to death by the male.

Looks like a mallard to me, At first I thought you would have described a Rouen, but I think you should take VERY good care of her, It's not often to have a good layer. Sell the eggs to make good profit, If you plan to get a male for her make sure you get at least 1 other female so she is not bred to death by the male.
Yeah apparently she is!! For the meantime, we’re keeping her as a “pet” but will be getting another female friend soon once I move to my new house! Can probably only have 2max for the moment anyway! I was just wondering if a lot of eggs above the normal “target” range was a good thing or not! Guess she’s just got a comfortable life! hah

Do you plan on getting anymore ducks? They're flock animals, and while they can enjoy human and other animal companionship, they are happiest being with their own kind.
Yes, we do intend to get her a friend once I move to my new house in a couple of weeks! Not sure if they will permit it, but we are looking into it for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom