maybe another duck trying to lay eggs

newbie ducks

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
oh boy found a circle dent behind the sprinkler next to where cookie dough was, but she just had babies a few days ago & left down to the pond with all her 8 babies. sadly, her remaining 13 eggs didn't make it & some were not fertile. when ever I get a chance i walk down over to the pond to visit cookie dough & babies she wag her tail all happy to see me again. i don't think she be back, but its going to get cold here next few days. I put a statue over where cookie dough nest was or maybe it's paula she another wild duck she was coming over to my house a few times just before cookie dough hatched her babies she was trying to stick her head in cookie dough box house, but cookie dough told her told her no. I love them but I live in HOA and where the nesting area is it is 3 feet away from my front door & I already know there will be no privacy for a duck. cookie dough was okay with us being around, but not sure if another duck would feel the same way. I don't want to be mean about stopping this from happening just I get too attached & it's sad when they leave, but Is there a way I can stop another duck from nesting there?

Attachments

• oh boy.jpg
    oh boy.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 16
You can put something on the choose nest site like a brick or log to discourage them. I have to often do this for my ducks when they choose an inappropriate spot to nest. They usually find somewhere else. If these are wild ducks it's even more important to not interfere with them, and to encourage them to move somewhere more appropriate.

You can put something on the choose nest site like a brick or log to discourage them. I have to often do this for my ducks when they choose an inappropriate spot to nest. They usually find somewhere else. If these are wild ducks it's even more important to not interfere with them, and to encourage them to move somewhere more appropriate.
too late she moved the heavy statue I had put over it. she now has 7 eggs. this is Oreo she the one on the right pic white with black speckles on her head & her sister Paula she the one in the left pic with the all white her head. I gave them a box with awning help keep the sun from baking them when it comes around. I spoil them. =)

Attachments

• paula.jpg
    paula.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 1
  • oreo box.jpg
    oreo box.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom