wild Muscovy duck soon to hatch

They love to talk and wag their tails like a dog. Such great ducks, it's very sad how some hate them and don't want them around.
Here we go again meet Oreo jr. she’s cookie dough sister another wild duck from the pond. she showed up this morning. She seems to be comfortable with us she knows us. I moved the statue out of the way & gave her cookie dough box & bedding. She about to drop eggs. Thing is I covered up the old nest & had a heavy statue over it, but she moved it forward some how & made nest behind it. I moved the statue out of her way it's in same spot as cookie dough had her babies. The word got out go see the crazy duck grandma she help us. I guess my house is the duck birthing center. lol.

Attachments

• oreo box.jpg
    oreo box.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 1
  • oreo jr.jpg
    oreo jr.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 1
unfortunately no way I can make something around them because of my HOA & laws in florida it's illegal to disturb the nest of a wild duck. I to wait until she vacates the nest on her own according to Florida Fish & Wildlife Then I can remove her nesting area, stuff that I gave her & find some way to keep her from coming back again. I guess I have to see how long she stays on her own & let her do her own thing. only thing I have done is made her a safe space I put up some wall art around my walls outside hoping it give it the scare crow effect from the hawks that fly around & the stray cats next door, so far they have not bothered her. I do have 2 huskies they look out the window by her to check on her & bark at things that come up towards her & my one cat he tells the other cats to stay away from her through the window & always checking on her. they all think she like family now & they need to help protect her. heaven help anything that hurts her & her babies. =) I teach all my animal's 2be nice 2 other animals'. I gave her a cut out 30 Gallon plastic storage box & shredded pine bedding & make her as comfortable best I can & we talk to her every day. cookie dough trust me up to a point she will allow me to put my hand in her box to give her more pine bedding & when she in a mood I tell her its okay & I'm just giving her more food & water then she settle down a bit. sometimes she will eat the crackle mixed corn food & drink water. yesterday another duck came over to visit we call her paula she a little bit friendly. my cookie dough just turned her head in her box & sat it down on her back area as she watched her & then paula ate a little of her food & stuck her head a little bit inside her box & sampled the pine bedding to see what it was & then she left.
my guess is paula came over to check on cookie dough.
Good luck to Cookie dough, if some the ducklings make it we'll all cheer. She seems to be a pretty tame feral. Seems her biggest threats might be area pets and those Muscovy pecks can be intimidating :D

Back
Top Bottom