Liquid Permethrin Spray

RiotRooster

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2018
I’m trying to figure out the proper way to use liquid permethrin, as I’ve seen several conflicting things.

Do you dilute and mix it in a spray bottle and spray the whole bird or do you fill a container and dip them? Also should I seriously worry about my cats? I know it’s poisonous to cats, and the chicken is currently living in the house due to frostbite. Can I treat her in a different room, and return her to her little pen safely after she’s dried?

I’ve been bathing her in dawn dish soap then dusting with DE after she’s dried, and while it’s helped a lot I’ve been doing for like two months and still finding eggs. I’m going to go nuts if I don’t completely get rid of them soon!!

Personally, I would use Poultry dust on the bird. You can get it at TSC. Just cut a leg off some panty hose, pour the poultry dust in to it and tie the end off. I wear a face mask while I do it and I recommend you apply it outside of your house. I just did a puff on their back, breast, and bottom, then worked it in a little bit with my fingers.

I used the liquid permethrin concentrate to spray my coop, not the chickens, but there is a dilution ratio for using it directly on the birds.
here's a video on how to apply using a spray bottle if you prefer that method.

The only reason I don’t want to use the dust is I’m worried about her shaking it off and it poisoning my cats. Like I said I’ve been dusting weekly for about two months we DE, and bleaching her living space. She’s not even super infested, I see a bug or two if I search well but I can still see eggs. I just cannot seem to get rid of them it’s driving me crazy!

Are you sure they're eggs and not egg casings?

You might look up S-methoprene. It's relatively non-toxic to birds (like almonds are relatively non-toxic to you--you'd have to eat a lot of them to be harmed) and it prevents juvenile bugs from maturing because it acts as a hormone and stops growth of the bugs. It does about nothing to the adult bugs, and is considered safe for use near adult bees.

It's combined with Permethrin dilutes in products like Frontline and Hartz Flea and Tick Plus.

Are you sure they're eggs and not egg casings?

You might look up S-methoprene. It's relatively non-toxic to birds (like almonds are relatively non-toxic to you--you'd have to eat a lot of them to be harmed) and it prevents juvenile bugs from maturing because it acts as a hormone and stops growth of the bugs. It does about nothing to the adult bugs, and is considered safe for use near adult bees.

It's combined with Permethrin dilutes in products like Frontline and Hartz Flea and Tick Plus.

I’m actually not sure, they might just be casings! It’s those gross clumps at the end of the feather. How do you tell the difference between old and active eggs? I’m going to look into that product, I’ve never heard of it. Thank you so much!

I’m actually not sure, they might just be casings! It’s those gross clumps at the end of the feather. How do you tell the difference between old and active eggs? I’m going to look into that product, I’ve never heard of it. Thank you so much!

You're welcome.
Sorry I was unclear, though--S-methoprene's not a product, it's an active ingredient in some products (generally flea and tick sprays for dogs and cats--but since the other active ingredient's permethrin, I feel comfortable using small amounts of the spray on my hens) Trim the clumps off of her feathers--if more eggs are laid, you'll see them, and if no new eggs are laid, you can be reassured.
Good luck in getting rid of it.

@21hens-incharge or @Redhead Rae just did their chickens. Hope they'll answer

It was me!!!

Tricks to treating the birds....
Get them confined so you don't have to chase them!

Hold the bird upside down so it calms and the wings drop open. I hold them by the legs and within a few seconds they calm.
DO NOT HOLD DUCKS BY THEIR LEGS!

spray below the vent, under each wing and the back of the neck. Get all the way to the skin and give 4 squirts in each area. I also did on the belly between the legs as that is where I found eggs on my bird.

Back
Top Bottom