Liquid Permethrin Spray

I use a spray bottle. Mix it according to the label directions for use on the chickens, usually 5%. Each product may have a different mix. It may only take about 15 ml, and since most chickens get only one type of lice, I would spray that particular area. The most common louse is the type that affects the areaunder the vent. The next type affects the area around the neck and under wings. You will probably only find them in the vent area or the other two.

It was me!!!

Tricks to treating the birds....
Get them confined so you don't have to chase them!

Hold the bird upside down so it calms and the wings drop open. I hold them by the legs and within a few seconds they calm.
DO NOT HOLD DUCKS BY THEIR LEGS!

spray below the vent, under each wing and the back of the neck. Get all the way to the skin and give 4 squirts in each area. I also did on the belly between the legs as that is where I found eggs on my bird.

This is super helpful thank you!

I use a spray bottle. Mix it according to the label directions for use on the chickens, usually 5%. Each product may have a different mix. It may only take about 15 ml, and since most chickens get only one type of lice, I would spray that particular area. The most common louse is the type that affects the areaunder the vent. The next type affects the area around the neck and under wings. You will probably only find them in the vent area or the other two.

I believe it’s the second kind, as I’ve seen eggs under her wings, neck, and chest area. I wasn’t sure whether to do her whole body or just the spots I see eggs. Thank you so much!

You're welcome.
Sorry I was unclear, though--S-methoprene's not a product, it's an active ingredient in some products (generally flea and tick sprays for dogs and cats--but since the other active ingredient's permethrin, I feel comfortable using small amounts of the spray on my hens) Trim the clumps off of her feathers--if more eggs are laid, you'll see them, and if no new eggs are laid, you can be reassured.
Good luck in getting rid of it.
Hello! I just got a product with (s) methoprene 0.01% and Permethrine 0.25%. Is this something you would comfortably use on your hens? Would you discard eggs for a while? Thank you!

Hello! I just got a product with (s) methoprene 0.01% and Permethrine 0.25%. Is this something you would comfortably use on your hens? Would you discard eggs for a while? Thank you!
Yes I would feel comfortable, and no, I would not throw away eggs. Permethrin is commonly used on chickens with no withdrawal time, and s-methoprene mimics a growth hormone in pupae. It doesn't kill them, it just prevents them from changing into an adult louse. It's not very toxic.

Back
Top Bottom