List of egglaying factors

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot that one. If their combs are not bright and red...they ain't feeling good. If they ain't feeling good it could be too many worms. And they won't lay well.
I agree, it could be too many worms. However, worming them is not the cure for everything. Unless you see worms in their poop, do not worm them. If you worm them when they don't have a worm problem then you are doing harm and no good. Last winter, I was worming my bantams. I used the correct dosage and followed the instructions. One of my frizzle hens had a bad seizure and died while she was on the wormer. Do not worm your birds unless it is absolutely necessary.

I asked here on BYC about the effect of supplemental winter light on egg laying before our chicks arrived. Specifically:
- Did is stress the birds to lay all year? Want eggs, don't want stressed chickens!
- Whether it stressed them or not, does it mean they will lay eggs for a fewer number of years?

The answers I got were:
- No
- They, like humans, have as many eggs (more than they will ever lay) from the get go. They will slow down and stop laying based on age, not the number of eggs laid.

I have lots of friends who keep chickens and my hens lay longer than those subjected to supplemental light and their eggs are consistently larger too. This has been the case regardless of breed so I am going to have to disagree with this. Molting, a nice winter rest and even an OCCASIONAL broody period make for healthy, disease resistant, strong boned hens.

:I'm sure the person who asked isn't making a diet for their birds solely out of chicken. I don't see any problem with just giving them scraps even if they happen to include chicken. Chickens don't really understand ethics lol. I've had roosters try to mate with dead hens. I've had hens kill and eat their chicks. If a chicken is bleeding the others will peck at the wound. It's not illegal in the US to feed chickens chicken. It's discouraged, because it can affect the flavor of meat birds, but not illegal. There's a whole thread about it lol https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/450600/do-you-feed-your-chickens-meat-like-chicken/10

Yea I don't JUST feed them chicken of course!...chicken just happens to be in our leftover scraps sometimes so for some reason they LOVE it, course they LOVE any type of meat we give them, extra steak, extra pork, whatever...

1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar per 1 gallon of water. Also give your chickens treats such at fresh red cabbage or crickets. I treat my chickens for good egg laying and good behavior!!!
ummm...NO!!!

Please stop disseminating information unless you are certain you are correct. At least information that can kill someones flock

1 cup in one gallon is enough to lower the PH of the water significantly and could do serious harm. The correct dosage is 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. Although I agree that ACV is in fact good for chickens and can make the water acidic enough to help with the slime and other undesirable organisms.....it is a fairly strong acid with a PH of about 2.4
if you were to add too much, it WILL do damage.

Normally I would assume you made an innocent mistake, but I have looked at your other posts and see that you are trying to educate folks when you still have a lot to learn. I.E. someone asked if their young bird was a boy or girl and you answered cockerel because roosters have a u-shaped back. It would seem that you may not know a cockerel is a young rooster.

Last edited:
ummm...NO!!!

Please stop disseminating information unless you are certain you are correct. At least information that can kill someones flock

1 cup in one gallon is enough to lower the PH of the water significantly and could do serious harm. The correct dosage is 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. Although I agree that ACV is in fact good for chickens and can make the water acidic enough to help with the slime and other undesirable organisms.....it is a fairly strong acid with a PH of about 2.4
if you were to add too much, it WILL do damage.

Normally I would assume you made an innocent mistake, but I have looked at your other posts and see that you are trying to educate folks when you still have a lot to learn. I.E. someone asked if their young bird was a boy or girl and you answered cockerel because roosters have a u-shaped back. It would seem that you may not know a cockerel is a young rooster.
I saw this & failed to comment glad you did. I agree if you don't know the answer giving out false information is not what BYC is about & you could possibly have others harm their flock. People come here to get answer to better raise there birds & I'm one of these people & have come here for awhile & have learned a great deal here.

Wow, nice catch BAIRO & 7L FARM!, yea i scanned over that post & it kinda caught my eye but didnt' "click" I guess, i knew it was only supposed to be like 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, b/c yea a cup is ALOT.

Don't follow EVERYTHING you read...yea 1 person might post something & might not be as informed as they think they are, so double check your information always & make sure what ppl say is the actual truth....I will admit... - I'm still learning, but there are certain ground rules that I HAVE definately learned & some definate things that you should & shouldn't do around/for chickens; (for ex...CEDAR SHAVINGS BAD!!!! Learned that the hard way :( a long time ago.)

Last edited:
For those of you that have metal roofs on your chicken house (and during hot weather) set your sprinkler so that it applies water to the roof.....doing so will drop the inside temp around 20 degrees. My hens spend most of their days inside...plus I have a fan going to move the air.

For those of you that have metal roofs on your chicken house (and during hot weather) set your sprinkler so that it applies water to the roof.....doing so will drop the inside temp around 20 degrees. My hens spend most of their days inside...plus I have a fan going to move the air.
Great thanks for posting. All my coops have a metal roof & I've never tried this.

Incorrect information!!!

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar per gallon, not 1 cup!
Dear michellekelly10 false informatin can harm chickens. Please be very careful!

1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar per 1 gallon of water. Also give your chickens treats such at fresh red cabbage or crickets. I treat my chickens for good egg laying and good behavior!!!

Back
Top Bottom