They've all gone mad! Whole flock broody!

It's really unfortunate timing for the girls to go all hay wire as we've got 17 chicks just feathered out in a small enclosure in the main coop trying to integrate. They're all very friendly with the chicks, do you think that's got something to do with it?
Actually, it can - the sounds from the chicks could've triggered some hormones. I've had that before.

Thank you, anyone have advice on how to help the girls out nutritionally while there broody? I was shocked to see those gorgeous red comes get so pale so fast! We currently give them vitamins and electrolytes and oregano oil in their water. No one sleeps in the nest... Wouldn't they normally sleep in the nest if they were broody?
Hm. Yes, once a girl commits she will sleep there. I'm not certain eggs are required, as plenty of people report hens sitting on nothing at all when she's determined.

Here's what I'd suggest may be going on. You have a bunch of half broodies who are trying it on, but aren't all the way there yet. My girls do this off and on. They go from quiet in-and-out layers to screaming dinos who take longer, maybe even several hours, to lay. It does seem like a somewhat socially influenced behavior. But then they leave on their own eventually and act like normal chickens aside from a little fluffing and clucking.

If they commit, they generally stop laying and begin sitting in earnest, all day and night. I gauge by at least one solid night and day of sitting on fakes.

My main broody started first, and went all the way after a week of off and on symptoms. Several flockmates picked up the noises and the clucking from her, but never once spent a night and seemingly returned to normal. They did get a little worse after she hatched her babies, but again, it seemed to wear off.

If this is what is happening, all the crowding and fighting over that one box may be preventing anyone from getting serious. It still should probably be dealt with, but it's better than having 10 full on broodies in need of breaking!

Do you want them to raise chicks, or not?
I'd like it if one or two of them would adopt what hatches from the incubator now, but I don't want them all raising chicks. I'm already nearing my 25 chicken cap for my township. We've got roosters to cull but they're only young yet and not really big enough for eating. We're really only interested in chicks that could come from our buff Orpington girls, and we're nearing the end of the 21 day carry over from a rooster, although our young roosters are cheeky and do hop on the big girls when they're out for a visit during the AM feeding, (they're only 5weeks old though so no help there.)

I'd like it if one or two of them would adopt what hatches from the incubator now, but I don't want them all raising chicks. I'm already nearing my 25 chicken cap for my township. We've got roosters to cull but they're only young yet and not really big enough for eating. We're really only interested in chicks that could come from our buff Orpington girls, and we're nearing the end of the 21 day carry over from a rooster, although our young roosters are cheeky and do hop on the big girls when they're out for a visit during the AM feeding, (they're only 5weeks old though so no help there.)
What I would do, is decide which ones look like the best mothers, and then break all the others in a broody breaker (metal/mesh crate)
That should make it a lot easier to manage.

Hm. Yes, once a girl commits she will sleep there. I'm not certain eggs are required, as plenty of people report hens sitting on nothing at all when she's determined.

Here's what I'd suggest may be going on. You have a bunch of half broodies who are trying it on, but aren't all the way there yet. My girls do this off and on. They go from quiet in-and-out layers to screaming dinos who take longer, maybe even several hours, to lay. It does seem like a somewhat socially influenced behavior. But then they leave on their own eventually and act like normal chickens aside from a little fluffing and clucking.

If they commit, they generally stop laying and begin sitting in earnest, all day and night. I gauge by at least one solid night and day of sitting on fakes.

My main broody started first, and went all the way after a week of off and on symptoms. Several flockmates picked up the noises and the clucking from her, but never once spent a night and seemingly returned to normal. They did get a little worse after she hatched her babies, but again, it seemed to wear off.

If this is what is happening, all the crowding and fighting over that one box may be preventing anyone from getting serious. It still should probably be dealt with, but it's better than having 10 full on broodies in need of breaking!
Thank you! Very possibly what's going on!

Wow, never heard of a broody breaker before will investigate! Thank you! My only other thought is to give the mamma I do want to brood the nest box they all love in her own private coop in the run.
What I would do, is decide which ones look like the best mothers, and the break al the others in a broody breaker (metal/mesh crate)
That should make it a lot easier to manage.

Wow, never heard of a broody breaker before will investigate! Thank you!
Its basically any kind of dog crate, or similar, which can be raised off the ground.
That way, they hens get a breeze blowing under their feathers, and they are kept out of the nest.
It usually works within 3 or 4 days.
I didn't used to like the idea, but after seeing just how much easier it is, compered to looking after 6 or so broodys at once, I am a new fan, lol!

Back
Top Bottom