List of Online Hatcheries

You do know Meyer is in Polk, OH? And they'll let you pick up.

As for how eggs are fertilized, it's mostly sexual reproduction. There are probably some artificial insemination programs (like for meat birds) but that's the exception rather than the rule.
Actually, what was I saying??? They DO have a lot of variety, omg....! They do ask for a minimum order of 15 but I know the mill employees pretty well here...maybe I could sweet talk them into ordering some! Then I wouldn't have to go to Polk to pick them up! Thanks for the heads up, debid.

I don't know how far you are from Meyer but I drive to a local hatchery for chicks. Actually, they bring them to a parking lot by a feed store on Saturday mornings -- like a taco truck
1f602.png
Biosecurity reasons. But, shipping is inherently tough on living things so I prefer to avoid it if possible.

Meyer's minimum is 3 chicks when you pick up your order. I just purchased my first chicks a couple months ago from them, and I had a great experience. I bought 7 and picked them up in store. I would highly recommend Meyer!

Really? Cause it says on the website it's a minimum order of 15 until after...April 1, I think, but they must mean for mailing them!. They are an hour and twenty minutes from us, so not a bad drive at all. I am so looking forward to going to get them!
wee.gif
I And yes, it's so hard on them to go through the mail. Even the mill recommends not ordering chicks through the mail unless they have less than a day's travel Which is why they order local.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Really?  Cause it says on the website it's a minimum order of 15 until after...April 1, I think, but they must mean for mailing them!.  They are an hour and twenty minutes from us, so not a bad drive at all.  I am so looking forward to going to get them!   :weee I And yes, it's so hard on them to go through the mail.  Even the mill recommends not ordering chicks through the mail unless they have less than a day's travel Which is why they order local.

Thanks for the info! 

When you're ordering online, if you go to the cart/checkout, you can click "pick up" and it'll let you order as few as 3 chicks. Don't forget to add the Meyer Meal Maker when you check out!
1f600.png
Have fun!

Thank you! What's the meal maker?

The Meal Maker is a free chick you get from Meyer. They give you something similar to what is already in your order. So, if you order is pullets you get a free pullet. If your order is layers, they give you a free layer. The idea is that you then donate the eggs that hen produces to a food pantry, church, etc. If you purchase meat birds, your meal maker is also a meat bird and the same principal applies but then you donate its meat.

You can search on this site to see the different types of birds people got as their meal makers. Just type in "Meyer Meal Maker."

You can also go to Meyer's website to learn more. https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=MMMF

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom