Little brown bugs in my hens feathers! How do I get rid of them?

While examine my hens vent to see if she was laying, I noticed a TON of little brown bugs crawling in her feathers deep down near her skin. I want to get rid of these ASAP!!! Live or mites, I don't so much care what they are but want to get rid of them today! Help!!h
I saw that you already bought the permethrin dust, which will work, and it's something I use, but you may also want to buy an 8 ounce bottle of permethrin spray to your coop, perches and nesting boxes. It can also be used on chickens, horses, cattle, dogs, etc, but *cannot be used on cats*.

Poultry lice live on poultry, so don't worry about getting them.
big_smile.png

Poultry mixing instructions - 5 ml (one teaspoon) Gordon's to 32 ounces (one quart) of water

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-8-fl-oz

Thank you! That's a great price! I'll invest in it for the next round! Any idea if you have to still just apply under wings and around vent? Dusting all 12 was quite the ordeal!

Thank you! That's a great price! I'll invest in it for the next round! Any idea if you have to still just apply under wings and around vent? Dusting all 12 was quite the ordeal!
I usually dust or spray their entire bodies because there are many different types of lice, and they might be on the legs, the back, the neck, the head, etc.

Perfect! That sounds so much easier! Ordering now for their next application!

I had a friend post on facebook the other day how she felt so accomplished getting her kids through the day and ready for bed and tucked in and put to sleep. I felt the same way last night when I knew I had finally dusted every single one of my chickens and they were tucked in to the coop at night. Such an accomplishment!
tongue.png

I spray their entire bodies, but avoid the eyes, and I spray every square in of the coop.

I keep looking online, but what kind of sprayer do you use? Just a spray bottle, or do you have something else?

For small jobs I use a small quart sized sprayer, but for big jobs, I use one of those pump style ones.

Ok, whatever i read about lice or mites doesn't ad up. No nits, easily squished, not "wheat colored " and crawling up MY ARMS and HAIR. Ick ick yuck, anyone plz help. Using tea tree shampoo on me but sais not safe for some animals.used seven dust in coop, and on birds, agri- mectine (ivermectine for cattle and equine) still itching, still mad. Ready to call my doctor for any help. Scared to even hold my birds now, for fear of reinfestation . Mad as hell,

Back
Top Bottom