Little chick "sits" or "lays down" 80% of the time... 6 weeks old.

Parker707

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2015
Ukiah, CA (NorCal)
Of our 4, six week old chicks, this one sits a majority of the time.

She can walk and run even, doesn't seem to be hurt or crippled, she just sits, and sits, and sits.

They are still in the 48 x 24 x 24 cardboard condo (coop will done next week). No matter what time of day or night I peak over the top she is sitting or laying down. She even eats at the crumble feeder that way !!! The other 3 walk around, peck at the walls, the pine shavings, each other, etc. I have seen her up and moving and engaging with the others, but not for long periods of time at all, in comparison to the others.

I told my husband I was concerned and he said "don't be, she's just young" - BUT she is the same age as the other 3 and now tonight he finally noticed what I am talking about. He agrees it's odd behavior.

Is this normal ?!?!

Cindy

She even EATS sitting down!!!

It's this little girl. She is in a laying down or sitting position every time I go over and visit them in the box (every few hours, sometime minutes cuz I love watching them). She doesn't seem to be hurt, and she CAN walk around and even run.

Sort of worried about her !!!!

Last edited:
She is about a week younger than the others but was purchased at the same time.
She didn't start off this way either.
Her vent is clear. She eats and drinks just fine.
I am trying to get the video on here, but it might be upside down (sorry!!) but its a good example of how she behaves.

It almost looks like he's off balance and doesn't have the strength or energy to stay up on his feet. Are you feeding medicated feed? He might have a mild case of coccidia. By the way, that chick looks like it might be about 3 or 4 weeks old, judging by how feathered in it is.

We got her on April 20th and she was "supposedly" 1 week old, so that would make her about 6 weeks old now. We are feeding medicated baby chick food.

Would more video help? I need to look up what coccidia is !!!

Back
Top Bottom