Little Giant Hatch Along

If you can't lower it you might want to take them out.

Wet something like socks, rags , towels and put it up where you will open it slightly and snatch the chicks out ....... Not literally snatch
smile.png
but you know be quick if you can.
Then close it tight.......it will be ok.

Quote:
What's the temp?
And a panting bird in my experience is a sign of distress. Perhaps they need a lower temp and more ventilation.

it's 100, i will open up the big red plugs

Holy cow! Are they in there with more eggs that haven't hatched yet? If there's no more eggs, definitely lower the temp to lower-mid 90's. If there's more eggs, you can let the temp drop to 98 without harming the eggs and the chicks will be more comfortable.

And, you can take the hatcher in the bathroom and remove the chicks while the shower runs to make it steamy. Or what StormyMoon said, x2.

Last edited:
Hi,

Day 11 with 18 Black Copper Marans eggs in a still air LG.

The eggs are so dark we are having trouble with candling. We can see air sacks and a dark area in some of the lighter eggs. We are not due to candle for a couple of days, but I got to curious to wait. This is our first try at incubating, probably we should have started with lighter color eggs.

wee.gif

Thank you
Mary

So all ya'll set us newbies straight....as I am at day 9 and a newbie so I need direction!!!

Lockdown at day 18...humidity should be ___?
Temp should be ____?

Take the turner out when you go into lock down. Put ____ on the grate, or not? (to protect their little feet)
Put sponges in to hold moisture? yes or no

Ok....hatching time:

Temp should be?
Humidity should be?

Leave them to dry a bit or have a small brooder ready with a light and move them after a few hatch?
What things do we need to watch for?

Maybe this will help me and a few more newbies get through this.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm also doing Black Copper Marans for my first time, and have thought the same thing. Next time I'm getting white eggs, lol.

Well, were on day 4 here, everything has been good so far. Temps have been perfect and humidity is holding. Haven't candled yet, but really want too. I have to say, this is so much fun and very addicting. Me and the kiddo are already talking about what kind were going to try to hatch next:)

Quote:
I read where you can get hand warmers....like your husband would take hunting to keep his hands warm....wrap them in a towel and put them in the bator if you have a power outage. Get several!!!

And by several she means several boxes!!!

Wow great idea. I actually have a case here from my hunters. Its snowing like crazy and the wind just started blowing. School is cancelled everywhere so I am taking care of my 4yo niece. She keeps going to the incubator and telling me she hears the eggs cracking (they are due on the 15th). LOL

Quote:
And by several she means several boxes!!!

Wow great idea. I actually have a case here from my hunters. Its snowing like crazy and the wind just started blowing. School is cancelled everywhere so I am taking care of my 4yo niece. She keeps going to the incubator and telling me she hears the eggs cracking (they are due on the 15th). LOL

Not my idea. I really did read that on here and kept meaning to pick some up in town. Am going to town again this afternoon and will TRY and remember. We don't have snow here....but colder than normal for the time of year. Our problem over the next week is thunderstorms. Electricity can go out at the drop of a hat up here when it is storming. I already have a down jacket around three sides of the incubator! Figured it could not hurt to keep drafts out!

Quote:
The temp stays the same all 21 days.

People suggest a variety of humidities for lock down. Ranges from 65% to 85%. I'll be shooting for 80 to 85% last three days.

I'll be taking eggs out of manual turner day 18 and laying flat on paper towels.

If you can't get that humidity sponges help alot, especially easy for adding water via a tube through the top air vent so you don't have to open the lid.

Let the newbies dry out and you can easily leave them in for a day, they have 3 days worth of yolk they live off inside them.

As for me, on day 11. Had problems candling my Rock eggs as they were so speckled or porous. Just could'nt see anything day 5 or 7. Grabed 2 at random and saw dark devolopment and good air sac today. Set up a halide drywall light and cardboard box for tonight to check them all in best detail we can. The 4 girls will be excited and I now KNOW there is development in some. Should be a positive experience.

Back
Top Bottom