Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Do you mean throughout the year? I think there are folks that hatch all year long. I may do another hatch later, but wouldn't want itty bitty ones during really cold months. We get sub-zero temps occasionally where I am, so that would be hard. But if its warm enough year round, I would think any time would be ok.

I meant through the year. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
You don't want to live in a cold winter state, incubate late fall and not have a coop with electricity so you can kick them out when it's time and house them inside ALL winter. It is not fun, I can tell you that. Love brooding inside for a few weeks, but OMG, never never again.

It really depends where you live and what your set up is.

4 more days and I go into lockdown with 4 Rhodebars and 2 Cuckoo Polish. I went from 13 to6 in 14 days. I only had one quitter. They were shipped eggs so they got beat up pretty bad. 3 pf my Polish eggs were broken when they arrived. I just feel bad because I wanted more Polish.

I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.
wink.png
Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol) We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun. What do you think?

I locked down yesterday. When I opened my 9200 to add water to bump up the humidity, there was already a little Silkie chick in there looking at me :eek: I had moved the eggs from one to the other the night before. Obviously my 9300 has a hot spot somewhere! I use a turner in that incubator and didn't move eggs around on it. It managed to hatch in 25% humidity and seems to be doing well. I haven't checked to see if theres anything else going on in there, but there shouldn't be since today's only day 19!

I locked down yesterday. When I opened my 9200 to add water to bump up the humidity, there was already a little Silkie chick in there looking at me
ep.gif
I had moved the eggs from one to the other the night before. Obviously my 9300 has a hot spot somewhere! I use a turner in that incubator and didn't move eggs around on it. It managed to hatch in 25% humidity and seems to be doing well. I haven't checked to see if theres anything else going on in there, but there shouldn't be since today's only day 19!
LMAO. Must have been a shock! He was ready to take on the world! Congrats on the Speedy Gonzales!!

I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.  ;)   Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol)  We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun.  What do you think? 

I like that idea! Sounds fun and interesting.

I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.
wink.png
Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol) We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun. What do you think?
You all know how I love an experiment!!! Bring it on!

Picked up a dozen duck eggs today. .. going to give them a try. My problem is though that the lady I got them from has a grab bag assortment and essentially the eggs all look the same aside for some size differences. She does have muscovy.. which I read can take longer. .. but I don't know what is what. .. if I put them into lock down at 25 days wouldn't that kill any muscovy since they wouldn't be turned ... thoughts?

Last edited:
No. With chicken eggs, in theory, they don't need to be turned after day 14. I believe duck eggs are more tolerant of the humidity issues that would be more problematic in a staggered hatch. If you had a second incubator handy, and could candle the eggs well (I don't know how easy it is to see inside a duck egg) you could lock down the ones that were filled to the top at day 25, and continue incubating the ones that weren't "filled" for a few more days. You're gonna have fun with this hatch!!!

Picked up a dozen duck eggs today. .. going to give them a try. My problem is though that the lady I got them from has a grab bag assortment and essentially the eggs all look the same aside for some size differences. She does have muscovy.. which I read can take longer. .. but I don't know what is what. .. if I put them into lock down at 25 days wouldn't that kill any muscovy since they wouldn't be turned ... thoughts?

Good for you. I think duck eggs are more tolerable of temperature changes. My Rouen and Mallard eggs have survived nests being abandoned, etc. And they still hatched after being rescued. God bless your incubation and hatch.

Back
Top Bottom