Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

Silkie-Feet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Ky, Kentucky
Feel free to skip the background info if needed:
For the past 10 years, I have been using a Little Giant 9200 incubator from TSC. I used incubating as a hobby then, as I do now. When I first began, I made mistakes without even knowing. From depending on the stock glass thermometer to keeping the Incubator full of water (with all plugs closed) the entire incubation, if you can think of a way to devastate a hatch I've had it happen. From my 25% hatch rates, I began to search the Internet and found this site full of wonderful and wise chicken experts. With time and learning the basics, my hatch rate got into the 70% range; I couldn't have been more pleased. However, the past few years I've been stuck around a 80% hatch rate, attempting each time to get a 100% hatch as others have achieved.
Recently, I made the conclusion that my practices were solid, yet the wide temperature swings of my now 10 year old stryo-bater were to blame. This spring, in the midst of a strange chicken fever, I managed to gather too many eggs for my old LG to handle. Unable to bare eating the extra eggs, I went on the prowl for another incubator. I discovered little giant has made improvements, and bought the LG 9300 with turner. The digital temperature control appeared to be the cure for my current hassle of maintaining temperature. Once I got home, I saw all of the rancid reviews for this incubator. I set it up despite the reviews, and it holds a perfect, true temperature.

The Experiment
My goal is to not only test the accuracy of the reviews, yet determine if the 9300 produces better hatches. I gathered 72 eggs, (kinda overboard :p ) 24 of the eggs are Rhode Island Red while the rest are Gold/Silver Laced Wyandotte. both incubators had been running for a week, each holding a steady temperature of 101.5. During this week, I was surprised by the performance of the LG 9300. Although there were slight temperature fluctuations in the room, the 9300 never altered more than +- .2 of a degree; while the LG 9200 dropped to 97 one night. Both incubators are using a turner, and in the same room. I am using a dry incubation, until the egg cells appear too large and then I will add humidity to both. I set the eggs on March 7th, and the eggs are due to hatch March 28th. I put 12 Rhode Island Red eggs in each incubator and filled each incubator with the rest.

Side Notes
The 9300 really helps with my temperature paranoia, I'm not even worried that it will experience temperature swings as it adjust itself accordingly.
Day 6- I removed 10 infertile eggs - 7 from the 9300 and 3 from the 9200. I candled the eggs tonight, and they appear to be on track both in development and egg cell size, any feedback?
Day 7- I can easily see movement in eggs in both incubators. Haven't had any temperature swings in either incubator and both are still incubating dry.

Pictures

LG 9300

LG 9200

Both images are a day 6 egg which has a very thin shell. This egg will be my candler due to it's thin shell.

Normal shelled egg and development. (Day 6)

Day 7, thin shelled egg. Difficult to see anything in normal eggs.

I will update as the experiment progresses, feel free to ask any questions not covered and offer any advice you have!

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see the outcomes. I've heard such negative rants on the newer LGs. I have an older one (I skeefed off from my sister...lol) Looks like the one you're calling the 9200. (I have never been able to find a model number on it.) And I really like it. Once I get it steady it pretty much stays that way until the humidity starts dropping, then it will start to climb. Doing the dry incubation last fall I didn't have much of an issue with that because the humidity was pretty even as well. I just set 42 eggs last night and it has stayed at 99, only changing to the tenths. (I was up ever hour or two to check it...lol).

Can't wait to see how your trial goes.

I think most products get bad reviews at one time or another. Some just have to be taken with a grain of salt. You have to take the user into account! Haha.

Hey @Silkie-Feet have you tried the weight method? Checking weight loss as you go along? I'm trying that now, since it was the only thing that made scientific sense to me, to try to get my humidity adjusted correctly. I'm on day 23 with ducks.

It'll be interesting to see the outcomes. I've heard such negative rants on the newer LGs. I have an older one (I skeefed off from my sister...lol) Looks like the one you're calling the 9200. (I have never been able to find a model number on it.) And I really like it. Once I get it steady it pretty much stays that way until the humidity starts dropping, then it will start to climb. Doing the dry incubation last fall I didn't have much of an issue with that because the humidity was pretty even as well. I just set 42 eggs last night and it has stayed at 99, only changing to the tenths. (I was up ever hour or two to check it...lol).

Can't wait to see how your trial goes.
I guess my 9200 just hates me, it has taken years for me to be able to adjust that little knob without raising or lowering the temperature by 5 degrees.
barnie.gif
The 9200 keeps me on my toes, I've had it randomly spike in temperature within 30 minutes of checking it.

I guess my 9200 just hates me, it has taken years for me to be able to adjust that little knob without raising or lowering the temperature by 5 degrees.
barnie.gif
The 9200 keeps me on my toes, I've had it randomly spike in temperature within 30 minutes of checking it.
I just wiggle the knob....lol I stopped trying to turn it... It's definitely tricky. I also use my humidity and air vents to control the temp instead of having to touch the knob when I can because it is so darn tempermental.

@WVduckchick the monitoring of the air cell size doesn't make sense or you just don't like that method?

Back
Top Bottom