Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Good to know. Thanks AmyLynn.

I go into lockdown in just a couple of hours.

Can you tell me how your vent holes work? I assume open vents will decrease the humidity more quickly than closed? And how do they affect the temps? Mine doesn't have vent holes but I'm gonna drill some after this batch is done.

Good to know. Thanks AmyLynn.

I go into lockdown in just a couple of hours.

Can you tell me how your vent holes work? I assume open vents will decrease the humidity more quickly than closed? And how do they affect the temps? Mine doesn't have vent holes but I'm gonna drill some after this batch is done.
I generally keep my vents/plugs open. (The plugs are actually gone...lol So I use quaters to cover if I need to....lol) So, what I have been doing is if the temp dips a little under my 99.5 I will cover a vent to get that little bit of extra to bring it back around, When it gets back above that I remove the cover. Mind you it's staying in the 99 range for the most part, we are generally talking about a couple tenths of a degree. Generally if it starts creeping up to the 100 mark I add a couple drops of water and it evens it right out. It stays the most steady at 40% humidty...it'll stay right at a perfect 99.5%, but I'd like a little less humidity, (I prefer dry, but right now it's too dry in here) so I'm trying to get the (heat) setting at the right point so it'll hold 99.5 at 25-30%. The only problem is when I am striving for humidity that low, the water evaporates quicker and I neeed to add more often. With out water in my bator right now it will only hold about 16% and I'm uncomfortable with it being THAT low. Overall I can't complain. Knock on wood, No spikes or extreme dips. I'm basically trying to perfect the 99.5 lol

After struggling for a week with three thermometers and a temp gun all showing different Temps, I have really been researching this temperature thing. The general consensus I have come up with is 99.5 is ideal, but 99 - 103 is ok. I seen videos and articles of people that run forced air at 101 102 to speed up the hatch. I'm not saying I agree with that theory, but I wouldn't be worried of a spike at 103 for a few hours.

After struggling for a week with three thermometers and a temp gun all showing different Temps, I have really been researching this temperature thing. The general consensus I have come up with is 99.5 is ideal, but 99 - 103 is ok. I seen videos and articles of people that run forced air at 101 102 to speed up the hatch. I'm not saying I agree with that theory, but I wouldn't be worried of a spike at 103 for a few hours.
I wouldn't agree with that simply because speeding up the process can and often does cause developmental issues. Why would anyone want to take that chance. It's beeen proven time and time again that rushing causes things not to be done right. Why would they think it any different in developement? I wouldn't get to overly concerned at spikes for small amounts of time up to 102. With a forced air 103 is hitting that worriesome mark, but like EVERYTHING else in chicken hatching...you never know....lol

Like I said, I don't agree with it, just saying a couple hour spike to 102 103 isn't need for panic. Just because the ambient air temp gets that high it still takes time for the egg itself to get to that temp. I also wouldn't recommend incubating at higher Temps though.

Like I said, I don't agree with it, just saying a couple hour spike to 102 103 isn't need for panic. Just because the ambient air temp gets that high it still takes time for the egg itself to get to that temp. I also wouldn't recommend incubating at higher Temps though.
Oh, I know you weren't agreeing, I was just having a shake your head moment that people intentionally do things like that. My first hatch I did panic...even if it hit 101...lol Then I learned a little more. Now it's like oh, look, it's getting high, better do something about that...lol

@AmyLynn2374 What day is your hatch on? Be sure to post updates so that we can see how you do with your LG.
smile.png
I set them Friday afternoon around 2ish so Good Friday ( the 3rd) should be the hatch day, though my last hatch started pipping late on day 19 (more than half) and those hatched day 20 with the rest finishing up early on day 21. (I had 13 out of 16 hatch the three that didn't were all day 20/21 deaths and two of those were turkens) I have never bought eggs from the lady I got these from so I am taking the unknown source into account as well. This is what my LG looked like with all the pipping and zipping going on for the last hatch...lol Got a little hectic in there!

@AmyLynn2374 What day is your hatch on? Be sure to post updates so that we can see how you do with your LG.
smile.png
I think this thread is a good idea. One of the horrible reviews was mine, but it was of a still air model. I was honest in my review, and said that a lot of the problem was rookie mistakes. A lot of first timers use the LG because they are cheap and easy to find, and I think a lot of the bad rap is a result of that. I know AmyLynn has great hatches, and you have a lot of experience, so it will be good for newbies to follow the advice of more experienced hatchers with this machine

I think this thread is a good idea. One of the horrible reviews was mine, but it was of a still air model. I was honest in my review, and said that a lot of the problem was rookie mistakes. A lot of first timers use the LG because they are cheap and easy to find, and I think a lot of the bad rap is a result of that. I know AmyLynn has great hatches, and you have a lot of experience, so it will be good for newbies to follow the advice of more experienced hatchers with this machine

My 9300 is still air as well, what exactly ruined your hatch? Mine hasn't given me any complications yet, but I would like to know your cause to ensure I'm not overlooking anything. I still haven't gotten a hatch out of the 9300, and despite the temp spikes in the other I still don't know which will perform the best.
@AmyLynn2374 , here's to hoping you get another great hatch! :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom