Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I saw good air cells and live chicks on day 18...I did not weigh the eggs but they were solid and moving and a lot heavier that when first put in the incubator
I'd consider running humidity a tad lower on next try. The styros especially seem to do better with a lower humidity. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Eggs should get lighter during incubation. They should actually loose between 11-13% of their weight before lockdown.

i did not weigh the eggs....didn't know to do that...but I did look for air cells and they got bigger and the chicks were alive when I locked it down....I may have imagined them being heavier....I hope so since they are suppose to lose weight. I had the humidity at 45 to 50 most of the time and that was with only about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water total. I added more water on lockdown but have not gotten it to go past 67. I did raise the temp to keep it at 99 to 100 degrees because when the humidity went up the temp went down. I guess I don't need to do this....cause I hate to think I am hurting little baby chicks

i did not weigh the eggs....didn't know to do that...but I did look for air cells and they got bigger and the chicks were alive when I locked it down....I may have imagined them being heavier....I hope so since they are suppose to lose weight. I had the humidity at 45 to 50 most of the time and that was with only about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water total. I added more water on lockdown but have not gotten it to go past 67. I did raise the temp to keep it at 99 to 100 degrees because when the humidity went up the temp went down. I guess I don't need to do this....cause I hate to think I am hurting little baby chicks
Yes, higher humidity usually results in a slight drop in temp and as humidity "dries up" temps raise. That's one of the wonderful things of running dry when you can, you have less of those fluctuations. I don't weigh eggs either, I monitor air cells. As long as I monitor my cells I know if and when I need to adjust the humidity and how. I personally don't like humidity over 45% for the first 17 days. My goal is 30%. Usually I don't have to adjust because that seems to be the ideal humidity for me.

i did not weigh the eggs....didn't know to do that...but I did look for air cells and they got bigger and the chicks were alive when I locked it down....I may have imagined them being heavier....I hope so since they are suppose to lose weight.   I had the humidity at 45 to 50 most of the time and that was with only about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water total.   I added more water on lockdown but have not gotten it to go past 67.  I did raise the temp to keep it at 99 to 100 degrees because when the humidity went up the temp went down.   I guess I don't need to do this....cause I hate to think I am hurting little baby chicks 

Don't let thisaffect your decision on hatching eggs. My first hatch was about 75% and my second was 0%. It all just takes time getting used to your incubator. Now my hatches range from 50 to 100%. Usually the 100% is because I only had 2 or 3 eggs at lockdown an they all hatched!!! ;) :lau. So...I personally bought a incukit from incubator warehouse and replaced the one in my still air LG 9300. I just set eggs about 3 days ago so I will keep you I formed as to how the hatch goes. It was a recommendation from another BYCer. Her hatch rate went from 50 to 95% after the swap out. I wish luck for hatches soon!!!! :fl

Don't let thisaffect your decision on hatching eggs. My first hatch was about 75% and my second was 0%. It all just takes time getting used to your incubator. Now my hatches range from 50 to 100%. Usually the 100% is because I only had 2 or 3 eggs at lockdown an they all hatched!!!
wink.png
lau.gif
. So...I personally bought a incukit from incubator warehouse and replaced the one in my still air LG 9300. I just set eggs about 3 days ago so I will keep you I formed as to how the hatch goes. It was a recommendation from another BYCer. Her hatch rate went from 50 to 95% after the swap out. I wish luck for hatches soon!!!!
fl.gif
Good luck!

will you be using the lg 9300 and if so could you keep a record of temps on your digital read out on you incubator and on the themometers on top of you eggs so I can go by yours to regulate mine next time? That would be so great. Also, I am in Alabama and the humidity here is different so If you let me know the humidity in your incubator I will do my best to keep it at the humidity you have. I know that I will have to use less water or maybe more to get your measurements. But that would be so helpful. If that is too much trouble that is okay...Thanks so much,

will you be using the lg 9300 and if so could you keep a record of temps on your digital read out on you incubator and on the themometers on top of you eggs so I can go by yours to regulate mine next time?  That would be so great.  Also, I am in Alabama and the humidity here is different so If you let me know the humidity in your incubator I will do my best to keep it at the humidity you have.   I know that I will have to use less water or maybe more to get your measurements.   But that would be so helpful.   If that is too much trouble that is okay...Thanks so much,   

Are you asking me??? Or Amy???

either one...but you ( rossfam06) were saying you had a LG 9300 so do you mind putting your level on here for me? I have a lg 9300 and will be buying more themometers Amy is great help also and she has been helping me so much.....she can post her readings also if she will and I will be so much better at hatching those little chicks! Thank you both sooooooo much!

Back
Top Bottom