Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
My husband just told me that the temp on the night of the 19th day after I first lock down was at 97 degrees just above my eggs and was that way all night so I took on out and candled it and it is alive but the egg doesn't look solid anymore the chick looks to be on one side of the egg. The air cell is very good and i think I hear cheeps. But I may be imagining things cause I see no pips.

either one...but you ( rossfam06)  were saying you had a LG 9300 so do you mind putting your level on here for me?   I have a lg 9300 and will be buying more themometers  Amy is great help also and she has been helping me so much.....she can post her readings also if she will and I will be so much better at hatching those little chicks!  Thank you both sooooooo much!

I got a new thermostat for it. So it will not be the same. I bought the incukit because it holds a more stable temp and has a fan.

ok thank you anyway...I guess I am doing it ok cause as of 12:30 today I have two pips and hear my little chickies and the one that is hatching first is a double yolk that my students at church gave me...so wish me luck in having twins for my kids!

either one...but you ( rossfam06) were saying you had a LG 9300 so do you mind putting your level on here for me? I have a lg 9300 and will be buying more themometers Amy is great help also and she has been helping me so much.....she can post her readings also if she will and I will be so much better at hatching those little chicks! Thank you both sooooooo much!
Get one mercury thermometer, take a glass fill it half with ice, add cold water let sit 2-3 minutes to come to tem, put your mercury thermometer in it. If it is accurate it should read 32 degrees. Make a note of accurracy or how far off it is so you can adjust. Put the mercury thermometer in the warmed bator along with any other thermometers you are going to use. Keep them all together, side by side. Give it an hour and then check the others against the mercury (well, glass, I guess they technically don't use mercury anymore). Then you will know how accurate they are. Use two accurate thermometers in the bator and don't go by the display on the incubator. Set the incubator to whatever temp it takes for the inside thermometers to register 101-102 steadily. Then you know your temps are where they should be.

Have an independant hygrometer. Do the salt test on it. ( http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/article/29/salt-test ) Now you can gage it's accuracy.

Run your incubator dry and see what the humidity is. If the humidity stays above 25% w/o water, do the "dry" incubation method and check the air cells ( http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity ) This will allow you to know how to adjust the humidity for your eggs. At lockdown up it at least to 65% 70-75% if you are not a hands off hatcher.

I use the 9200 with the fan kit installed.

CORRECTION!!! TWO HAVE PIPS AND I DO HAVE PIPS IN THEM!!!!! I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
Congrats!!

ok thank you anyway...I guess I am doing it ok cause as of 12:30 today I have two pips and hear my little chickies and the one that is hatching first is a double yolk that my students at church gave me...so wish me luck in having twins for my kids!
Most double yolk eggs will not make it out w/o assistance, so if you haven't I suggest reading the assisted hatch thread and making sure your humidity is up.

Thanks so much Amy you have been so helpful and I will follow your advice. I am keeping your comments for future use. I hope to hatch some different kinds of chickens later. My kids at church gave me eggs to hatch and this was my first attempt. I do have three hatching right now and one child gave me a double yolk and I debated about trying to hatch it but it is the first to pip and its beak is sticking out of the egg and it has zipped more.....the strange thing , I noticed that the chick on the small end with no air cell is, the end hatching and the one with a large air cell has not pipped. Maybe it will come out the small end with the first chick. Thanks again for your help. You have been amazing!

Thanks so much Amy you have been so helpful and I will follow your advice. I am keeping your comments for future use. I hope to hatch some different kinds of chickens later. My kids at church gave me eggs to hatch and this was my first attempt. I do have three hatching right now and one child gave me a double yolk and I debated about trying to hatch it but it is the first to pip and its beak is sticking out of the egg and it has zipped more.....the strange thing , I noticed that the chick on the small end with no air cell is, the end hatching and the one with a large air cell has not pipped. Maybe it will come out the small end with the first chick. Thanks again for your help. You have been amazing!
You are welcome. If you go to youtube and search twin chicken hatching (or something to that effect) there is a video of a hatcher helping twins hatch. It is rare, but she managed to have both survive.

my twins died in the egg...the small chick was at the little end with no air cell and it was the one that pipped...it stopped moving or chirping after 9 hours and saw it was not doing anything and so I took it out to help it and even thou my incubator was still at 102 the chick was cold and stiff.....so i checked for the other chick and it was not completely formed even though it was the larger chick. I am so sad now....I only have 2 other pips and they have only a small pip and they are not moving much. I have the humidity at 69 and I still think the membrane is to dry.

Most double yolk eggs will not make it out w/o assistance, so if you haven't I suggest reading the assisted hatch thread and making sure your humidity is up.
my humidity is at 75% but my chick died and I guess i waited too long to help it cause it lay there for 8 hours with just the end of it's beak out and its chirps were weak. I did finally take it out after it died and checked to see about the twin and it was not fully developed...so no twins for me. It was such a pretty little chick...and it was really tiny...so it was just too weak to live anyway. I am still afraid for the rest because out of 26 eggs only 3 pipped and one was the double...the other two has lay there for hours and only have the first pip hole. This is 2l-22 and still only 3....so I guess I will see tomorrow if any will make it.

Back
Top Bottom