Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Put a few eggs under her and get her to setting. Most Hens will set for at least 4 weeks. I have one that I can just take chicks out and put eggs in and she will set for a couple months. just keep plenty of food and water close to her and she will do fine.

In the spirit of not detailing this awesome thread, I'm going to start a new thread with some questions about my broody hen...any help would be appreciated!

I would put a few eggs under her if she is sitting now too, to see if she continues to sit until you get the eggs. I have had broody's that would not get off the nest unless I took them off and some that were on and off all of the time. I had one girl that was sitting on a nest of eggs and would pull one egg out and sit on it and abandon the rest. Every time I put all of the eggs under her she would roll one out and only sit on it so I took all of them away from her and put them into an incubator. Good luck and have fun...

This is the girl that would't get off of her nest, so everyday I would take her off for about 20 minutes so she could eat,drink and poop. As soon as I unblocked the nest she was on it in a flash.

Last edited:
I put eggs under her on Friday and she stayed on them all weekend, but after we euthanized the chick last night, this morning she was off and the eggs were cold. I'm hoping she gets back on...I'm scared to try to hatch shipped eggs & I'd rather a broody hen do it! However, I'm getting the incubator ready & even if she gets back on the eggs, I'm leaving it plugged in and ready, in case she gets off again...sigh. Lots of unexpected things going on! Thanks for the help!!!!

That's what I thought. Darn it. Oh, well. I'll give the incubator a try! Crossing my fingers for a better hatch!

In the spirit of not detailing this awesome thread, I'm going to start a new thread with some questions about my broody hen...any help would be appreciated!
Instead of starting a new thread, there's a couple of broody threads already. I join them this summer when I had a broody hen and they are friendly over there.

CG

I got a bottle cap & asked my hubby to attach it to the incubator for a knob & when I got home, he had used an actual knob! I'm calibrating it now & I'm so excited! I have the best hubby ever!!!

We got a new dAnver hen today & she's broody! She's even back on her eggs after moving her! Fingers crossed she will hatch my JG eggs! (I'm definitely going to keep the incubator going, just in case she doesn't make it all the way through the hatch!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom