Little Giant Incubator Tricks

There's a whole group on this forum that have hatched refrigerated eggs purchased from the supermarket (see Trader Joe's Hatching Club), so it is not unheard of to get little cheepers from chillin' eggs.

- - -
Different Still-Air topic:

I've found with winter weather that draping a folded beach towel around the incubator helps to stabilize the temperature within. Wasn't so much of an issue in the summer, but we've got a huge temp swing at night. Just bundle up the incubator except for the red plugs and vent holes and make sure the drape is down past the seam of top and bottom.

There's a whole group on this forum that have hatched refrigerated eggs purchased from the supermarket (see Trader Joe's Hatching Club), so it is not unheard of to get little cheepers from chillin' eggs.

- - -
Different Still-Air topic:

I've found with winter weather that draping a folded beach towel around the incubator helps to stabilize the temperature within. Wasn't so much of an issue in the summer, but we've got a huge temp swing at night. Just bundle up the incubator except for the red plugs and vent holes and make sure the drape is down past the seam of top and bottom.
Thanks PeepShow. I put a couple in the incubator, so I will report as to my success or failure.

This is our incubator day 1 with all chocolate Orpington eggs

Thanks Cmom.
frow.gif
And thanks also for all of your time for input into this thread.

I just got the temp regulated. I have 4 thermometers in the LG and I think I have it right. Putting in the eggs now.

I have one question. I have four fresh eggs that were laid today and yesterday that I put in the LG. My question is, I have some refrigerated eggs...Will they incubate?
I would let them sit out and warm up before putting them in the incubator. There is a thread about incubating refrigerated eggs. Most buy their fertile eggs from Trader Joe's. The cartons usually say fertile eggs on them. Somewhere I have a picture but can't find it at the moment.

Here's my Trader Joe's chick. I think she's an austrawhite hybrid. White with an occasional black feather. Was born with a black dot on her head and each shoulder.

It will be quite a long while, but by looking at her ear lobes I wonder what color eggs she will lay???

I'd hazard a guess the egg will be white. Hatched out of a white egg and looks like a production white layer.

We'll know in a month or two.

Last edited:
I would let them sit out and warm up before putting them in the incubator. There is a thread about incubating refrigerated eggs. Most buy their fertile eggs from Trader Joe's. The cartons usually say fertile eggs on them. Somewhere I have a picture but can't find it at the moment.

That is indeed what I did. I set them out for a few hours until the felt to be room temperature.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom