Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Quote: Lisa ,I think you are over thinking this. ANd possibly creating other problems. Find ways to keep the whole room stable. What can be done to help the room not dec in temp at night. THe LG will keep pumping out heat to try to compensate, it just is not large enough to keep a stable internal temperature. THe heat sinks are really important. Perhaps use s small container that can fit. Fill plastic eggs with sand . . . or that jell used in baby diapers and seal . . .

Have you thought of a location in your house that may be stable?

Lisa ,I think you are over thinking this. ANd possibly creating other problems. Find ways to keep the whole room stable. What can be done to help the room not dec in temp at night. THe LG will keep pumping out heat to try to compensate, it just is not large enough to keep a stable internal temperature. THe heat sinks are really important. Perhaps use s small container that can fit. Fill plastic eggs with sand . . . or that jell used in baby diapers and seal . . .

Have you thought of a location in your house that may be stable?

Well I just might have to put them in my office. There is very little temp change in there. As far as heat sinks- Are they just anything solid enough to absorb heat during the day and hold it at night? I must have missed the explanation of those. Thanks.

Quote: In my LG I do not have a turner so I use 4 1-qt mason jars of water. Water absorbs and holds more heat than sand. So water, sand, rocks, bricks. THey absorb the heat given off by the heater coils and as the temps at night start to decrease, this becomes another source of heat. I theory it helps reduce the swing in temperatures.

HOnestly, an incubator is fairly clean. At hatch time their is fine powdery material and egg shell chips and egg shells, too of course. You could move them right out to the tack room into a brooder with a brooder lamp or other heater.

What do you think of that? Is that better for you?

In my LG I do not have a turner so I use 4 1-qt mason jars of water. Water absorbs and holds more heat than sand. So water, sand, rocks, bricks. THey absorb the heat given off by the heater coils and as the temps at night start to decrease, this becomes another source of heat. I theory it helps reduce the swing in temperatures.

HOnestly, an incubator is fairly clean. At hatch time their is fine powdery material and egg shell chips and egg shells, too of course. You could move them right out to the tack room into a brooder with a brooder lamp or other heater.

What do you think of that? Is that better for you?

That sounds like what I will have to do. The only thing is, will the jars of water cause too much humidity before the 18th day? I am guessing that at the 18th day is when you stick the sponges in the jars like wicks.

Seal the jars up with a lid. I turn the 1 qt size on it's side to fit in. Without the turner of course. So I don't use these a moisture sources.

Ok, that makes sense. I did move the LG into my office and it is now plugged in and running to regulate it for this room. There is no a/c in this room, just a fan and that is facing away from the incubator. I also took out the 2 red plugs as per the BYC "cheat sheet" suggestions. My eggs are being shipped tomorrow, so they will probably get here Wednesday or Thursday. So I should be able to get this at the right temp and keep it there. I was going to try to get it to 101 and keep it there. What do you think?
Do you hatch the eggs right in the cartons or lay them down for the lockdown? Thanks.

101 for a LG with a fan is fine. realize that this machine has different temperatures in different locations, so rotating the eggs to different places is good to. I carefully pick up the carton and relocate it.

For anyone using the still LG the temps must be 102 on top of the eggs, so depending on how big the eggs are and how high the cardboard cartons are, this can vary.

Some people use rings, like cut toilet paper rolls to set the eggs in. THis seems to allow more tipping of the eggs without getting the eggs too high in a still LG.

I have hatched both ways. Generally I prefer to hatch the eggs the same way they were incubated. YOu have time to research this before day 18. THe general thinking is that in a still air the eggs will be moved to a slightly cooler zone when moved from a carton to on it's side. For turkey eggs this is especially a good idea ( slightly cooler temps when using very high humidity).

I added the knob extension which really helps. I think I've got it just about in range, so now to keep an eye on it overnight and watch for fluctuations. Should I take out turner rails that aren't filled to make room for heat sinks?

Back
Top Bottom