Live Stock Auctions

Quote:
The majority of livestock auctions aren't inherently bad. That still doesn't make them a good place for a person who doesn't know a darn thing about the livestock therein to buy animals. I can't believe you'd actually be arguing otherwise.

I've never said I'm the only one who knows anything about farming and ranching, but compared to a lot of people on this board I do know a lot more.

If a person doesn't know anything about livestock they probably shouldn't be looking to buy any until they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowledge of an animal is the best key to getting the best animal.Know about it first before buying it. You may end up with livestock that has 3 eyes and a hoof if you dont know ditty about them. 3 eyes and a hoof is not a good choice in livestock purchasing.
lol.png

On the flip-side, I bought 4 kukoo mirans for 2 bux at the auction.3of them died because of disease, one still lives( Jeckyle) and doing good.

52004_sunp0101.jpg

Quote:
Wow. I've sure never lived anywhere remotely like that. Perhaps it IS that way where you live. However, having lived over the years in PA, NC, OH, NJ, NY and now Ontario, and been to at least *some* sort of open livestock auction in each of those states, I have to say that it sure ain't like that anywhere I've been.

So I think the odds of it being like that wherever the o.p. is from are pretty slim.

Nobody (that I can see) is saying there's anything WRONG with livestock auctions, it's just that they are generally no place for someone inexperienced enough to have to ASK how you tell good'uns from sick'uns.

Pat

These quotes sure make it seem like you think there's a lot wrong with livestock auctions.

Your words:
In significant part that's where people dump their culls, and many (most?) of the culls are not there because their ears were 2" too short to make good show stock or things like that, they're there for PHYSICAL REASONS like diseases.

19hhbelgian words:
A lot of people will send their sick animals there to get rid of them

The sale barns we sell our cattle thru...they also sell sheep, goats, horses, and swine......have vets on site and if they say an animal isn't fit to sell it doesn't go thru the ring.

Sale barns are how most people in the farming and ranching states sell their livestock. There are some that sell private treaty, but not many around here.

Maybe if a person doesn't know enough about an animal to know whether they're healthy or not, they need to take someone along with them who has experience or better yet learn more about them before they buy.​

Quote:
The majority of livestock auctions aren't inherently bad. That still doesn't make them a good place for a person who doesn't know a darn thing about the livestock therein to buy animals. I can't believe you'd actually be arguing otherwise.

I've never said I'm the only one who knows anything about farming and ranching, but compared to a lot of people on this board I do know a lot more.

If a person doesn't know anything about livestock they probably shouldn't be looking to buy any until they do.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second point.

Quote:
I agree. Most of the animals are in good health when sold in a sale barn-that is how most people buy/sell their animals. BUT there is a difference between auctions that are for many different animals at once. I think if you are looking for pigs then you should go to a pig auction. Same for the goats. It seems that the auctions that only have a handful or so of animals usually are sick or something wrong with them. In my experiance farmers don't usually sell just 1 or 2 pigs, goats, calves, unless there is something wrong with them. I know we don't. When we go to sell calves we will sell 30-40 at a time and take them to the cow sale.

to the OP- If you know anyone that has any experiance with animals, please take them with you. If not please do some research.

Quote:
No reason to be nasty. I've never said I'm the only one who knows anything about farming and ranching, but compared to a lot of people on this board I do know a lot more.

I wasn't being nasty. It was a serious question. It is hard to tell with you sometimes. You respond quite often with no actual information about the topic at hand, but just briefly and incompletely "refute" what anyone else has said. It's hard to tell if you're actually trying to make a point that could be helpful to the OP or just reminding everyone that you have livestock/crops/a farm. It's perplexing to me. If you know so much more than everyone else seems to me it's much more productive to let that knowledge speak for itself.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second point.

I don't come on here and state inaccurate "facts" about things I know nothing about which is what a lot of people do on here when it comes to farming and ranching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Why should people not be allowed to sell animals that are sick or lame or whatever??? You gotta do SOMEthing with them, and many times it is not necessarily something you'd have to put the animal down for, SOMEone might be willing to deal with it, or looking for something to butcher right away.

I can't understand why you are taking comments on average animal health to be "anti-auction".

All I'm saying is that GIVEN that this is the case IN MANY PLACES (have you lived where I've lived and been to the auctions I've been to? Obviously not. So while it is perfectly possible that in your area your favorite auctions contain 99%-only healthy animals, all I am saying is that that is JUST NOT THE CASE EVERYWHERE, by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever)

This is fine for people who KNOW what a healthy vs not-healthy animal looks like, and are willing to cope with whatever mistakes they may make. It is NOT so fine for a beginner who has to ask how to tell healthy animals.

I kind of have the feeling that you are talking about an utterly different kind of auction than most of the rest of the posters on this thread.

Pat

Quote:
And you KNOW what everyone's life experiences are??

Just because someone else has seen different things than you have seen does not make you right and them wrong/lying/idiots.

Pat

Quote:
Just looking for clarification,

Both things you posted were negative. How is buying 4 chicks..3 of whom died from disease the flip side to buying a 3eyed 1 hoofed..whatever
wink.png
Seems they are the same poor outcome.

Back
Top Bottom