Livestock guardian dogs

Pics
Hi just one correction I'm from barcelona and my grandmother (paternal) is from aturias. The GP is from the entire Pyenees mountain region which covers/forms the entire border between france and spain. Not a basque dog but used by the basques who live in between catalonia and asturias which is in great part mountains that cross over to france. Throughout the Pyrenees there are small towns with the ideal terrain for shepparding which date back to the medieval times.
The people tend to be very tough, they (we) are the most stubborn people of all of Spain, hence sometimes our not so great reputation, especially in politics. Amoungst ourselves we are not very forgiving. Maybe a trait of people from difficult climates. They would not think twice of leaving the dog with the livestock and never if rarely allowing the dog in the house. And like all members of the household, human or animal you are put on this earth to do a job and do it correctly. That tends to be a village mentality anyways. They are breed to watch any animal and people. My grandfather had one and they're very friendly. Don't forget the mastiff from aragon.
Otherwise great information.
ps there are a lot of cows and bulls in the fields, loose.

Last edited:
We Recently introduced a jack russell terrier pup to our home. He's very small and although we don't have goats yet everything I do I try to do with a purpose and goal in mind. In other words I'm not training, feeding, etc any animal for nothing.....just because its cute. I hunt too. I keep that in mind.
My belgian malinios is a great guard dog and would do better with larger livestock although I do extensive training I believe as a dog ower that no dog is ready to be trusted until they are fully mature at 2. Assuming he's trained.
Here is a great article it discusses many different breeds for farms, ranches, homesteads.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...ogs-zm0z13onzkin.aspx?PageId=2#ArticleContent

Working with my Mal.

Predators were out in force last night, keeping my dogs busy. They were exhausted this morning but still did me the courtesy of walking around the farm with me as I fed and watered this morning but flopped down to rest every time I stopped or went in the house for more hot water. However, they still got up enough energy to chase off the crows.

No losses, so their hard work paid off. They got some dog cookies and put to bed in the garage so they can sleep uninterrupted.

Same here thank god most of them have long coats but the short coat dogs usually stay with the flocks unless the other dogs give that " we got something bark" then they all pack up.

My chicken guardian dog 1/2 American bulldog and half english mastiff she stays tied outside the chicken coop but if its too cold she goes in it with the birds and heat lamp ain't had a problem with fur bearing preds just red tailed hawks

Wow nice dogs and good stories. My Mal wishes id let him sleep on the hay. I hear the hawk. I think I'm a better guard dog than all of mine lol :)

I didn't hear my dogs going off all night, but they were still tired enough this morning they went to their beds before I was done feeding and waited for me to close their door.

My dogs are also working overtime with respect to coyotes that are currently figuring out territory boundaries and booting pups out of pack. This makes for floaters that may even come in near my dogs as a refuge. This occurred last year. Red foxes are also floating about. Soon Red-tailed Hawks will be moving to breeding areas as Red-shouldered hawks move back in to setup their breeding territories. Latter not an issue. Great-horned Owls that kept dogs busy back in November and December have already hunkered down to brood eggs and no-longer go after my adult birds because too big to pack back to nest by male.

My rabbit lives in my coop in a cage that hangs from rafters and I have a hen in cage with 5 chicks and two puppies and my guard dog had to be brought into coop last couple nights cuz its been 1f with wind chill below 0 so its been a petting zoo in my coop :) and the dogs have been behaved so far

Back
Top Bottom